Stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hinorth

Reaction score
So this is my third brew and I think I got a stuck ferment. I made a beer according to a random guys advice at my LHBS with this recepie

11/13
Steep 1 pound flaked oats in grain bag for 15 minutes at 160 And remove
Boil US Golding hops 45 minutes
Add 6.6 pounds white sorghum syrup
Bring back to boil
Add 1 ounce US fuggle hops
and 1 teaspoon Irish moss
10 minutes and then flameout
Cool and siphon to primary
OG 1.035.
Pitched Danstar Nottingham yeast at 80°F then cooled to 68°

11/16 the bubbles appear to have stopped completely
SG 1.010

11/25
SG 1.009
And I ask the great wise ones of the internet, what the heck do I do?
Should I just carry on and bottle it? Or is it even a stuck ferment? I understand this is a low OG but neither of my other brews were fermented out this quick

I am by no means an expert - in fact, you have one brew on me, as I will likely bottle my own third batch next week or so. I do, however, read and study a lot on brewing, bottling and the like. It looks like its been fermenting for around 12 days. Without knowing all the particulars like ferm temp, etc. I would say check your gravity again in a few days and if it's the same go ahead and bottle. If it's dropped then let it go a few more days and check again. A few days beyond fermentation will only help clean up your brew. My stout was in the bucket for 3wks and conditioned for 3 in the bottle before I popped the first one and it turned out fine.

I haven't brewed with Sorghum yet but based on what I've read I think you've reached your final gravity. Has it dropped clear? If so you can probably bottle. Let it Age at least 3 weeks before you taste.

My guess is if you are down in the 1.010 territory, then it is done.
My experience with Nottingham on sorghum was that it did much better at temperatures 75F to 78F rather then what they recommend. I had one batch that I fermented at 70F and it was still doing a bubble a minute after 3 weeks! I abandoned Nottingham in favor of Safale US-05 and have had much better luck since.
Did you take your OG reading when the wart was still a little hot? With the sorghum LME alone, in a 5 gallon batch your OG should have been in the 1.045 territory.
One thing you will find with Sorghum LME is that with just 6.6 lb in a 5 gallon batch, the finish beer is pretty thin. Still good in my opinion, but in later batches you may want to boost it with other ingredients. You will see a lot of posts on here from people experimenting to diminish the "sorghum twang" and bring more out in the beer.
Belgian Candy Syrup (inverted sugar syrup, not the hard candy kind) and maltodextrin are a must in my opinion.
Brown rice solids or syrup, honey, corriander and orange peel are other ingredients to play with.
My rule of thumb is that I shoot for an OG of 1.060.

my OG was taken warm and it ended up being more like 5.6 or so gallons because I didn't have as much evaporate this boil. As far as the yeast is concerned I chose the Nottingham yeast because of my cold fermenting area and if it actually works better at warmer than recommended temps I should re think my game plan on the next batch and try another yeast.

my OG was taken warm and it ended up being more like 5.6 or so gallons because I didn't have as much evaporate this boil. As far as the yeast is concerned I chose the Nottingham yeast because of my cold fermenting area and if it actually works better at warmer than recommended temps I should re think my game plan on the next batch and try another yeast.

+1 for going with something else besides Nottingham :D That yeast has screwed me over so many times I am never going back.

Try some US-05. You might fail that yeast, but that yeast will never fail you.

Try some US-05. You might fail that yeast, but that yeast will never fail you.

US-05 is pure insanity. I have purposely tried to mess with it. Underpitch, overpitch, too little O2, high temps, low temps, and yelling at it. Every time, a clean, attenuated beer. I must break you, US-05!

Still, low temps and plenty O2 put together a better beer.

Latest posts

Back