dual temp fermentaton cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulldogxray

Reaction score
Ok so I have searched for a couple of days and found some stuff on different fermentaion cabinets. ( aquarium heaters in water, ceramic bulbs) Here is what I want to build but not quite sure how to do it. I want to build a dual controlled Heat/cool fermentation chamber. I want to put it in my garage which is cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I would like a way to set 1 temp and it automatically adjust hot or cold whatever is necessary. So could I get some direction and ideas especially with controllers and wiring. I will take pictures and andput the detalis of the build into a tutorial.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Your best bet would be a ranco dual stage temp controller. It has two outputs that you can program. So you program one output to turn on if the temp drops below say 70 degrees and that would turn on your heater. Then you program the other output to turn on if the temp rises above 70 degrees and that would be your a/c unit. They have a differental of about 1 degree I think so your not constantly kicking things on and off. Here is a link for the setup Im talking about. MoreBeer | Ranco Digital Two-Stage Temperature Controller - Wired
You can buy the controller itself for cheaper and make your own outlet but its not that bad of a price for the whole thing really. For the chamber itself I would suggest plywood with foam insulation. Hope this helps.

Your best bet would be a ranco dual stage temp controller. It has two outputs that you can program. So you program one output to turn on if the temp drops below say 70 degrees and that would turn on your heater. Then you program the other output to turn on if the temp rises above 70 degrees and that would be your a/c unit. They have a differental of about 1 degree I think so your not constantly kicking things on and off. Here is a link for the setup Im talking about. MoreBeer | Ranco Digital Two-Stage Temperature Controller - Wired
You can buy the controller itself for cheaper and make your own outlet but its not that bad of a price for the whole thing really. For the chamber itself I would suggest plywood with foam insulation. Hope this helps.

Ok sounds good but what should I use a freezer and a heating mat??

You can use this with a freezer and a heat pad. Just run your heat pad cord out to your temp controller plug in. Your freezer will plug in to one outlet plug on the ranco and your heat pad will go into the other.

Back