Long Lag - pitch different yeast or warm up fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
Saturday evening I aerated my 3gallons of wort with pure o2 and pitched dry safale-04 at 65 degrees. I set the ferm chamber to 64 and let it go.

I have zero visible activity and I'm at 67 hours.

I think I should have either dropped the wort to 60 and pitched and let it warm to 64. Yeast might be dormant...

Should I warm up the fermenter to 68 to get things kicked off then drop back to 64, or hydrate and pitch some Notty yeast on it?

Good news is the wort looks fine, just some yeast stuff on top, no growth or mold or anything.

Thought I might have over aerated and burned the yeast but seeing that is very hard to actually do. I did 30 seconds max at full open.

Thoughts? I know I should hydro it, but there has been NO activity, no krausen, no bubbles.

If it were me, I'd throw in the other yeast. Three days-ish without visible yeast activity (krausen, air-lock, agitation, etc) is long enough that I'd be worried about infection. If the original yeast is working fine, then the extra yeast won't hurt. If it's not, then you obviously need it. So yes, if it's on hand, hydrate some notty and pitch it.

So hydro it!

Too much O2? No way not a chance.

64 temp is fine it is not dormant.

I think it might even be done!

Clem

You rock!

I had water ready, yeast out and decided well I see a small ring of hop material, lets hydro and sure as hell its DONE. meaning I slept through the entire fermentation! It was 1.014ish and tasted DELISH!

Dont think adding yeast would have hurt, but man its good to know it's not ruined!

First holiday brew and it was for a contest! hehe.

I blanketed it with c02 and closed it up, hopefully it wont oxygenate much. Going to be sitting another 3 weeks.

Back