Look at my recipe and a question about my first IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linusstick

Reaction score
6.6lb Light LME
3lb Golden DME

Grains:
1lb 80L
8oz Victory
4oz Carapils

Hops:
2oz Columbus 14.4 60 min
1oz Columbus 14.4 20 min
1oz Columbus 14.4 5 min

WLP001 California Ale

A few questions also
1)I have some Amarillo and Centennial hops in the freezer. I've never done a single hop IIPA. Would one of these be a good substitute? The IBUs according to Beersmith are already 100+ so I don't think I would want more on top of what I already have.
2)The estimated OG is 1.082 so obviously I am going to do a starter with the yeast. I have never brewed a beer this big so is one vial with a starter enough to fully ferment the beer? I am going to make the starter tonight (Friday) and brew Sunday afternoon.
Thanks! :mug:

I'd go with either amarillo or centennial over columbus if you're intent on doing a single-hop batch, simply because I like the flavors better. Columbus is a bit more subtle--not a bad hop by any means, but it doesn't tend to bring out the pure hop flavor that you tend to expect from an IIPA.

If you aren't fixated on doing a single-hop batch, I'd use columbus for the bittering and maybe a late addition if you like, and drop some amarillo and/or centennial close to the end and as dry hops.

You can get by with a starter, although that timetable is cutting it closer than I'd typically like. That said, I'd go ahead and do it anyway (and have in the past) :).

I'd go with either amarillo or centennial over columbus if you're intent on doing a single-hop batch, simply because I like the flavors better. Columbus is a bit more subtle--not a bad hop by any means, but it doesn't tend to bring out the pure hop flavor that you tend to expect from an IIPA.

If you aren't fixated on doing a single-hop batch, I'd use columbus for the bittering and maybe a late addition if you like, and drop some amarillo and/or centennial close to the end and as dry hops.

You can get by with a starter, although that timetable is cutting it closer than I'd typically like. That said, I'd go ahead and do it anyway (and have in the past) :).

great advice! i would not go all columbus either, been there, was not great.

Latest posts

Back