How to water hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ajae

Reaction score
Hey guys noob hop grower here, I've looked around here and the web but I can't find any real info. How do I water my hops? I know they need water (lots of it) but when they start growing do I just water the hop hill base or the brines themselves? Some plants just require the base because if you water the whole thing it can cause infections. So how is it done, how do you guys do it?

Water the base. Watering the leaves and cones can lead to an increased chance of infection and disease.

hops don't need lots of water until it's really hot out, and the plant has a lot of leaves to lose water through. this early in the growing season, they don't need that much water since they're living off the energy (sugars) they have stored in their roots. if anything, a lot of hop grower are currently over-watering their hops. just keep the ground moist. make sure that the soil is draining well between waterings. the root need oxygen down there, which isn't happening when they are drowning in standing water.

hops don't need lots of water until it's really hot out, and the plant has a lot of leaves to lose water through. this early in the growing season, they don't need that much water since they're living off the energy (sugars) they have stored in their roots. if anything, a lot of hop grower are currently over-watering their hops. just keep the ground moist. make sure that the soil is draining well between waterings. the root need oxygen down there, which isn't happening when they are drowning in standing water.

+1 Sweetcell

Too much water, too much fertilizer, too much care. Let the plant tell you when to water.

Sounds good! I'm water too much now, I just wanted to throw out there the fact that I knew about hops and water. I've done lots of research, I just couldn't find anything about this particular subject. Thanks a mil!! Cheers!

Latest posts

Back