Frosting buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExHempKnight

Reaction score
Hello all.

I picked up a couple of 2-gallon frosting buckets from the bakery at my local supermarket. I want to use them as fermenters for a couple of 1-gallon SMaSH experiments.

I let them soak overnight in Oxyclean, and this morning, they still have a faint frosting-y smell to them.

My question is, can I use them as-is, or should I let them soak a few hours more (maybe in a stronger Oxyclean solution)?

Thanks!

I got a few frosting buckets for use as fermentors. I let mine soak for only a few hours and I have no smell. Was a pretty strong solution though.

have you ever smelled your brewing bucket after cleaning and sanitizing it? still smells like beer, right? same thing here, there has been nothing but frosting in these buckets for who knows how long. they are going to smell like frosting until you put beer in it and overpower the frosting smell.

so make some beer in them. COME ON. HURRY... HURRY! STOP WASTING SO MUCH TIME AND MAKE SOME MORE BEER DO IT DO IT DOITDOITDOIT

I have 7 or so 5 gallon icing buckets I use for Apfelwein same for me I soaked them for a few mins in Oxyclean scrubbed them with a sponge rinsed and sanitized and had no smell.

the only step i would forgo would be scrubbing the bucket. If you're using the scratchy side of the sponge that it. the non-scratchy side would be fine, but the scratchy side can make little scratches in the side of the bucket where bacteria can hide and be stupid and ruin everything you've worked for (theyre nasty little jerks). I personally use paper towel to clean my buckets.

No just a sponge.

the only step i would forgo would be scrubbing the bucket. If you're using the scratchy side of the sponge that it. the non-scratchy side would be fine, but the scratchy side can make little scratches in the side of the bucket where bacteria can hide and be stupid and ruin everything you've worked for (theyre nasty little jerks). I personally use paper towel to clean my buckets.

The one problem I have now is that a 1-gallon batch in a 2-gallon bucket isn't deep enough to use my hydrometer, and I lack a sample tube (or something equivalent).

Oh well. I'm sure it'll be fine.

No worries lol... I'll be brewing a 5-gallon batch of Imperial Bastard Stout (seen here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/imperial-bastard-stout-126650/ ) tomorrow.

I'm doing 1-gallon SMaSH-es using light DME and different hops, to learn what they taste like. I'll also probably experiment with different hop schedules, to see what that does.

@sensortech... Yeah man, the bucket that had chocolate frosting in it smelled especially delicious.

Back