Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really know. I had boiled water and then added tap water to get to 35C to add the yeast, then it was a bit below 35 and added another bit of the boiled water to it again but it had been sitting so it was well below boiling temp.

I didn't feel like the rehydration process went well over all. It was my first time rehydrating and it was my first AG day so I was a bit flustered while doing it. Wishing I'd just pitched it dry now.
That doesn't sound good. Can you pick up another pack of s 05? You could add it after confirming no activity after 48 hours.

That doesn't sound good. Can you pick up another pack of s 05? You could add it after confirming no activity after 48 hours.

I've 2 or 3 packets in the fridge. Yeah I'll give it another 24 hours and repitch I think. Thanks.

So now theres a pretty steady stream of starsan bubbles coming from the air lock but I'm not hearing the usually gurgle of the airlock. Signs of fermentation or just starsan being foamy?

So now theres a pretty steady stream of starsan bubbles coming from the air lock but I'm not hearing the usually gurgle of the airlock. Signs of fermentation or just starsan being foamy?
Sounds like you're good. Starsan doesn't spontaneously bubble afaik :) Test your seals by pushing down on the lid of your bucket. That should make the airlock bubble. If not, you have a torn gasket or bad seal.

Its all good :rockin: Got up this morning and theres a nice inch or so krausen and the airlock is bubbling away like crazy.

The thread was right all along. :mug:

I never rehydrate dry yeast. Never really seen the point.

I dare say if you poured near boiling water into the rehydrated yeast you may have done some damage. Just buy another pack and pitch. :)

Sent from my iPhone usingkikmun imthhkkkjkmnummHome Brewin momiyukmilubujmjkuh

Ok with my first brew I started getting bubbles about 8 hrs after I sealed it all up and continued to get bubbles about 1 bubble every few seconds for about a total of 24hrs or so. Then I was getting one every 5 to 10 seconds and after a day of that pretty much nothing. Now the idiot that I am I did not take a reading before sealing it up. It has been about 6 days should I give it a few more before I take a reading. I know most of you say to wait 2 to 3 weeks but its my first brew and it is like your first born child you want to show the world and take all kinds of pictures. :) plus the wife won't let me start a second one until the first one is being consumed.

Ok with my first brew I started getting bubbles about 8 hrs after I sealed it all up and continued to get bubbles about 1 bubble every few seconds for about a total of 24hrs or so. Then I was getting one every 5 to 10 seconds and after a day of that pretty much nothing. Now the idiot that I am I did not take a reading before sealing it up. It has been about 6 days should I give it a few more before I take a reading. I know most of you say to wait 2 to 3 weeks but its my first brew and it is like your first born child you want to show the world and take all kinds of pictures. :) plus the wife won't let me start a second one until the first one is being consumed.
Fermentation may be over (though the 5% of fermentation can take as long as the first 95%) but leaving the beer in the fermenter for 2 to 3 weeks gives it time to clear and condition a bit. You could take a gravity reading at 10 days, and then another one at 13. If it's the same, go ahead and bottle.

what is the best way to take a sample? I just don't want to dip something in there do I.
i, and i think a lot of others, use a wine thief for this purpose. it's a little gadget designed for exactly this purpose. a sanitized turkey baster also works. a simple mug properly sanitized can work as well.

don't return the sample, it goes to the gods.

plus the wife won't let me start a second one until the first one is being consumed.

Franzenel,
You need to educate SWMBO on the timing of beer,and the absolute need to keep the pipeline working, this means you start the next batch fermenting once you have available containers, like right after you bottle the first batch (or rack it to a secondary, depending on your process plan)

I did start a batch of Apfelwein for her so now she has something to look forward too. She likes beer but has gotten a gluten sensitivity and really can't drink it anymore. She loves wine and hard cider so I thought I would get a batch of Apfelwein going and maybe carbonate half of it. But she already told me that I will need to back sweeten it as she is not a dry wine kind of gal.

I did start a batch of Apfelwein for her so now she has something to look forward too. She likes beer but has gotten a gluten sensitivity and really can't drink it anymore. She loves wine and hard cider so I thought I would get a batch of Apfelwein going and maybe carbonate half of it. But she already told me that I will need to back sweeten it as she is not a dry wine kind of gal.

Franzenel: I do the exact same thing for the same reason. My wife developed a nasty gluten intolerance after our daughter was born. I did a lot of research on ciders because they are gluten free and she likes them. She loved beer before so ciders were a natural progression.

I've noticed that without yeast nutrient, ciders take forever to ferment. I usually start a new batch for her as soon as I keg the last one.

If you want it sweeter, try some sucralose. I bought our local Dominicks out before it closed. I have a good 30 bottles of it just for this reason when I bottle her cider.

I know it takes up to 72hr, but, now that it's been 24hr and my beer looks flatter than a tweaker's butt, I'm questioning when I pitched the yeast. I brewed a Belgium witbier extract kit from NB, but I didn't know about smacking my pack days in advance of brewing, so I smacked it and it did swell, just not that much. I pitched it about 5 hours after smacking the pack. It was a yellowy liquid. How much swell should I have before the yeast is good. Am I over reacting? 3rd brew.

I know it takes up to 72hr, but, now that it's been 24hr and my beer looks flatter than a tweaker's butt, I'm questioning when I pitched the yeast. I brewed a Belgium witbier extract kit from NB, but I didn't know about smacking my pack days in advance of brewing, so I smacked it and it did swell, just not that much. I pitched it about 5 hours after smacking the pack. It was a yellowy liquid. How much swell should I have before the yeast is good. Am I over reacting? 3rd brew.

As long as it was viable yeast and not excessively long past it's prime you just need to give it time to do its thing. I'd be willing to bet tomorrow or the next day you find a thick krausen on top and your yeast happily chugging away. If you are concerned with the lag in yeastly activity you could make a starter to ensure your yeast are viable and active which will reduce your lag time waiting for signs. Of fermentation.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Thanks G Swill. I assume since the pack did inflate some, it's working, just slowly.

Here's the juice

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406599493.079656.jpg
Looks like a huge pitcher of sun tea

Well this is a very true thread! I just pitched a smack pack that was 6 months old. I was getting pretty nervous at the 18hour mark when I didn't see any signs of fermentation, but after waiting a little longer, my yeast started up strong!

This is day 3 after pitching my first vial of wlp500. I knew I should have used a starter but the vial was fresh and I was lazy. The sucker finally started bubbling today.

i just made my first batch yesterday. my only concern is i got nervous trying to cool down the wort and put some of the ice in the pot that was surrounding the pot in the sink to cool it down. should i be worried about sanitation with regards to the ice?

also after almost 24 hours. my temp is about 70-74 degrees. it is a dortmunder/lager and my instruction guide did not give a proper temp to store it at. the airlock is bubbling what seems to be correct. any info would help

Just a new guy trying to figure this out.

i just made my first batch yesterday. my only concern is i got nervous trying to cool down the wort and put some of the ice in the pot that was surrounding the pot in the sink to cool it down. should i be worried about sanitation with regards to the ice?

also after almost 24 hours. my temp is about 70-74 degrees. it is a dortmunder/lager and my instruction guide did not give a proper temp to store it at. the airlock is bubbling what seems to be correct. any info would help

I think with lagers you definitely should have done a Starter .cover the car boy with a wet towel or shirt to get it down to 68 degrees and give it time.

Well going off the recommended yeast info from white labs (they used Oktoberfest yeast for dortmunder) you want to ferment between 52-58F(11-14C) for that style. And to go with the above post you definately should make a starter for your lager and ferment with good temp control. Fermenting as warm as you are could lead to undesired flavors in your finished beer. Making a lager isn't like making an ale. Well it is with the exception of fermenting at much cooler temperatures than ale yeast.

Well going off the recommended yeast info from white labs (they used Oktoberfest yeast for dortmunder) you want to ferment between 52-58F(11-14C) for that style. And to go with the above post you definately should make a starter for your lager and ferment with good temp control. Fermenting as warm as you are could lead to undesired flavors in your finished beer. Making a lager isn't like making an ale. Well it is with the exception of fermenting at much cooler temperatures than ale yeast.

spoke with the guy from the brew shop today. he explained though its a lager. they use an ale yeast. he said around 60-65 degrees. i did the swamp cooler method with the t shirt and water and ice bottles. came home after being gone 12 hours and its down to 65. so hopefully the first 48 hours of higher temps did not ruin it too much.

yes fermentation is an essential step for good beer, I could check the quality of the fermentation when I was in Alsace:eek:

Glad I saw this thread. I did not see bubbling in the airlock until hour ~67. Chugging right along now.

I have a 5-gallon batch of Belgian Tripel in the fermenter right now. I am 3 days into fermentation (brewed on Sunday, transferred to the fermenter and pitched yeast around 5:30 in the evening). Monday I had strong/steady bubbling in the air lock. Tuesday I had much slower larger more rhythmic bubbling. Today I watched it for about 5-10 seconds and didn't see any activity.

This is my 2nd batch that I've brewed, the first being a summer ale kit from Brewer's Best. The summer ale had airlock activity for about 5 or 6 days and I waited 2 or 3 weeks before checking FG and bottling.

I know that it is a bit warmer than desired (the room temperature has been steady at 72 degrees, but the bucket is sitting on a cool concrete basement floor), but is it normal for airlock activity to slow this rapidly on a high gravity beer like a tripel? I am planning to wait at least 2-3 weeks before opening the lid since it is a higher gravity beer (should come out to right around 8.5% when it is done), but I am getting a little bit nervous that activity in the airlock has slowed so dramatically already (I know that airlock activity is not the best judge of progress...).

is it normal for airlock activity to slow this rapidly on a high gravity beer like a tripel?
3 days sounds about right, especially if you are fermenting above 70. just ignore it sit for another couple weeks, then take your hydrometer readings and bottle.

I know that it is a bit warmer than desired (the room temperature has been steady at 72 degrees, but the bucket is sitting on a cool concrete basement floor), /QUOTE]

That is a bit warmer than desired as fermentation temps can be 5-10 over ambient. I would surmise this led to your faster than usual primary. As yeast work faster the warmer they get. They also produce more less desirable esters and off flavors at higher temps. If you don't have temp control you should really look into at least a swamp cooler to help keep your temps more within a reasonable temp limit. I usually aim for the lower recommended yeast temp then when it gets across I've i am still below the higher temp limiting my chances for off flavors. Your batch may be fine but it might have unwanted flavor/ester profiles. E.G. More alcohol "heat" or solventy flavors or yeast flavors where none where wanted or desired. Going forward I'd definitely look into some way of managing your temps during fermentation. It will give you the best chance for getting the beer your aiming for without off flavors. For now it is just a waiting game. Hope you fare well just keep in mind if it turns out to not be the brew you were expecting, try again with lower ferm temps and you'll increase your chances of getting the beer you're looking for.

I know that it is a bit warmer than desired (the room temperature has been steady at 72 degrees, but the bucket is sitting on a cool concrete basement floor), /QUOTE]

That is a bit warmer than desired as fermentation temps can be 5-10 over ambient. I would surmise this led to your faster than usual primary. As yeast work faster the warmer they get. They also produce more less desirable esters and off flavors at higher temps. If you don't have temp control you should really look into at least a swamp cooler to help keep your temps more within a reasonable temp limit. I usually aim for the lower recommended yeast temp then when it gets across I've i am still below the higher temp limiting my chances for off flavors. Your batch may be fine but it might have unwanted flavor/ester profiles. E.G. More alcohol "heat" or solventy flavors or yeast flavors where none where wanted or desired. Going forward I'd definitely look into some way of managing your temps during fermentation. It will give you the best chance for getting the beer your aiming for without off flavors. For now it is just a waiting game. Hope you fare well just keep in mind if it turns out to not be the brew you were expecting, try again with lower ferm temps and you'll increase your chances of getting the beer you're looking for.

Thanks. I did some searching around for ways to control the temp and ended up putting it in a plastic tub with about 8-10 inches of water in it and draped a t-shirt over the fermenter (bucket) last night. I think this is the swamp cooler method that you referred to, but I might have switched up the terminology. I also added a large ice pack to the water to help bring the temp down a bit more quickly, although at this point I'm not sure how much that is really going to help since I'm already several days into fermentation. If I allow it to sit in the fermenter for an extended period of time - say 4 or 5 weeks - before checking on it, will that help to clear up some of those unwanted flavors that may have developed early on?

Since I knew I'd have trouble with my temperature I tried to pick beers that would be a bit more forgiving for my first few brews. I also hoped that having the bucket sitting on a cool concrete floor would help, but I must've screwed something up when I put the thermometer strip on it because it doesn't really give a reading as far as I can tell (perhaps I got too many air bubbles under it when applying?)...

I typically give my beers 3-7 days from experiments early on to clean up after FG is reached. I've had my temp strips look black like that before. Sometimes it looks like it's between temp patches on the strip. A small maglite or the like can make it easier to see the faint colors. Another member suggested that trick a while back.:mug:

So here's a story for the new guys when it comes to "air lock bubbles". I've been brewing about 4 years and I made a beer, pitched yeast and WTF??...nothing. No bubbles at all. Well, I know your not supposed to use that as an indicator so I pulled the lid back and looked inside the bucket. Boooom! Fermentation going on. So here's what's going on. My stupid bucked lid doesn't seal. Never even considered it until I checked it out, so don't assume there is a problem with the beer or yeast...could be a bad seal. My $.02.

Taco

hi please help!!!

Novice making first brew. Ml
first mistake bought a kit that came with a Lager !! Next Mistake l forgot to take the SG after stirring i the yeast.
Next mistake, the lid was not properly sealed but was corrected after 24 hrs.
l didn't notice any foam but there is a scum.

The starter pack came with a beer enhancer pack so I didn't use dextrose however l later noticed that it expired 4 months ago.

In The first 2 days the the air lock was producing a regular stream of bubble (after tightening the lid) however the rate slowed down considerably after the 4th day. The temperature in the basement is about 50F night and 61F day. The temperature of the container is noted to be about 12 C c (54F) in the morning and 15 C (59F) in the afternoon.
l
I took a SG reacting today (day 7) and the reading is 1150. The Sample has Sediments doesn't smell or taste bad either .

What should I do now? Advise please! Thanks all

Hey guys,

I did a batch yesterday and Im worried I may have messed up pitching the yeast!

This was my first time doing a 5 gallon batch and rehydrating dry yeast (US-05). I cooled my wort to around 65 degrees. while it was cooling i brought 110ml of water to a boil and cooled it to around 80 degrees.

This is where I think i started to screw up. First i put the water into a sanitized glass and poured the yeast in. the yeast just sat on top so stupid me i stirred it with a spoon (sanitized) and the yeast clumped up and stuck to the spoon. i tried to get as much off the spoon and back in the glass as i could but some ended up getting washed down the drain. Anyhoo, after that i swirled it in the glass and it seemed to mix up ok..

I then racked my wort to my fermenter (a bucket) and shook it around a bit to aerate. Then I poured the yeast in and closed it up. I didn't shake it or stir it again after pouring the yeast in.

I think that maybe none of those things were wrong, but I'm not sure...

Now the thing I think I totally screwed up - I put my fermenter into a swamp cooler. its also my first time using one. the water from my tap is about 50 degrees. So the wort was probably 65ish in the bucket and its sitting in water thats around 50 degrees. when I woke up this morning the water was about 55 degrees.. I am now at work and Im thinking that this is probably too cold for fermentation to start? I cant do anything about it until after work at 6pm (its 11am now).

Am i going to kill off the yeast? can i correct this? should i go buy more yeast?

thanks and sorry for being a noob. cheers

Back