splitting wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday and realized half way through that I had used twice as much specialty grains as I should have. But I finished the process, put it in the carboy, and pitched the yeast anyway. I figured I'd let it ride and see how it comes out.

After sleeping on it, I was thinking maybe I should try to fix it. It was a 3 gallon batch. I was thinking about brewing 1.5 gallons of base malt (and hop it equivalently to the first batch) and splitting the original batch, mixed with the new base malt batch, over two carboys? Seems doable? But I was more concerned about the fact that the first batch will already have a days worth of fermentation under it's belt. Is really disturbing it at this point a good idea? I'm assuming I'd have to pitch new yeast in both (split a vial between the two).

Any thoughts would be appreciated! thanks.

I would just leave it and see what happens. You'll make beer.

That is a lot of Black malt for a 2.5G batch. I like the idea of making another batch and blending it. If you want it to come close to your original recipe, that might work.

or you could leave it be. You will have beer. Probably a really dark, roasty beer. If you don't like it, just brew another batch and blend after the fact.

Thanks again for the feedback. I'm new and learning.

I hadn't thought of blending after the fact! Ok, I'll let it ride, taste, & learn.

Back