Questions about Partial Mash and procedure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechard

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This will be my fifth batch, no problems so far, but this time the recipe I'm brewing calls for 2lbs of 2-row, 2lbs vienna, along with a variety of specialty grains (honey, crystal 80, flaked barley) in smaller amounts.

I normally brew extract with specially grains, but this is the first time I'll be dealing with base malts which require mashing.

Normally I would steep my specialty grains in a bag in 2.5 gallons @ 158 for 30 minutes. I have 6lbs of grains total (plus my extract at knock-out). Can I mash the specialty grains with the base grains at the same time? Will I hurt the specialty grain extraction by mashing for 60 minutes rather than steeping for 30?

Here is what I've come up with: (Assuming I can mash all 6 lbs of base + specialty)

Ratio: 1.25 qt/lb = 8.6 qt (2.15 G) for mashing
Strike Temp of 171 F (For 8.6qt water with 65 F grains)
Mash Temp 154 F for 60 Minutes

Sparge 2.0 Gallons for dip/soak sparge at 164 F for 10 minutes

Then of course, begin the boil!

Is this the proper way to handle the combination of specialty grains with the base malts? Is there a better way?

My equipment is: 5G brew pot, 2.5G sparge pot

Whew, that's a relief, I thought I was going to have steep my specialty grains and mash separately, which would have been a lot more work.

Any other tips for partial brewing?

Latest posts

Back