Too humid for fermentation chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquitocontrol

Reaction score
I've had a fermentation chamber off a 3.0cf mini fridge for almost a year. Its fairly large as it holds 4 buckets. I was able to keep temps at 62 all year long (ambient temp in apt is usually 75-78f). I my latest batch in the other day, and now I can't get temps below 70-71! Thats only about 4-5 degrees below ambient. I know its cooling because the freezer is frozen over like crazy. But that left me wondering if all the cold energy was spent freezing the humid DC air instead of cooling down the chamber?

I've checked all the corners for holes and/or leaks and didn't find anything. Its about 2" of pink foam insulation on all sides. Theres a fan under the freezer to circulate the cold air.

Not really sure what to do from here as I have no explanation. But I definitely don't want my batches fermenting this high of temps. Nor do I want to keep the A/C on in that room if not necessary. As of right now the A/C is at 72 and the chamber is at 70.5F.

first thing to do is defrost the coils. when you drop the temp of the are you are always going to get some condensation. if it is let to freeze, it acts as an insulator and throughs your system out of whack.

Alright I will start defrosting. Should I get one of those big bags of damp-rid to prevent buildup in the future?

I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that before. There was over a gallon of ice (after defrosted) on the relatively tiny 6"x6"x12" freezer coil. Guess I need to look inside there more often.

In 15 or so minutes the chambers already down to 64!

Hoping regular defrosting plus damp rid will keep me up and running. Thanks.

That looks like a good solution. I'll have to order one. I despise disposable things but didn't know an alternative existed. Thanks.

Back