Forgot fermenter cover...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbie123

Reaction score
Probably stressing over nothing but thought I'd ask.

Ok so I moved my fermenter into the garage yestetday and got distracted when someone let the dog out (long story short) I forgot to cover the fermenter! I only remembered this morning. I know you're not supposed to let light get to your beer (it is now covered). Do you think it'll be ok? It is a opaque fermenter.

You should be ok. Light won't be your issue. I'd be mildly concerned about an infection, though. What is your garage like? If all was quiet there overnight, you probably won't have a problem. Keep in mind, a lot of breweries use open fermenters.

Airborne wild yeasties may have settled in, but I wouldn't worry at this point. What did you brew and had you pitched the yeast?

I think he meant that he forgot to put something over it to block the light not that he forgot the lid.

I wouldn't worry about the light, just keep it covered now and watch the temps in your garage.

Temple240 is right. Sorry I should have explained better. The lid was on but as the fermenter was near the window I normally cover it with an old blanket... I was worried about the light coming though the window.

Nothing I can do about it now so will just wait and see.

I brewed a DuClaw's Venom Clone and wanted to watch the process and see what light will do to the beer so I fermented it in a glass carboy for 3 weeks uncovered in my apartment (no direct sunlight but all the light from the windows and the house lights) and it tastes fine. I like to mess things up on purpose to figure out why they tell you not to do something. As for the light you must have to have that baby in the sun for a long time for it to do serious damage. I wasnt able to skunk it.

Thanks for the replies.... This first brew is so stressful!

Don't remember being so stressed when wine making!

Thanks for the replies.... This first brew is so stressful!

Don't remember being so stressed when wine making!

That is because the process of making beer is much more complicated than making wine. :rockin:

No need to stress, though. Its a simple matter of paying attention to details.

Back