Pickle jar fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lushife

Reaction score
I work at Five Guys and have been looking for something to do with the gallon size, glass pickle jar we throw out. I was thinking of turning one or a few into small fermenters for experiments or just small batches. I think I got most of the pickle residue out with hot water. Has anyone tried this or have any thoughts on problems or know what would work best for getting all of the pickle smell out? Thanks

image-1922416948.jpg

I reuse glass pickle jars often. A simple rinse with dish soap and water gets rid of the smell coming from the glass, but nothing I have tried gets rid of the smell coming from the lid. I've soaked with various detergents, cleaners, bleach, deodorizers, boiled them and run them through the dishwasher, but the smell of pickle lingers on the lid. When I think it's gone, I screw on the lid, but the smell is back the next time I open the jar. What's more annoying is that standard and wide mouth mason jar lids won't fit many commercial pickle jars.

They can be useful for washing yeast, etc. As far as fermenting in them goes...gallon glass jugs that a standard airlock will fit are pretty cheap.

IIRC reading here someone said oxyclean in them and place them outside to get rid of the smell. I want to say they put the lid into a plastic container with oxyclean and a few hours outside.

Check over in the 1 gallon brewers unite thread it probably is in there.

mb82 said:
IIRC reading here someone said oxyclean in them and place them outside to get rid of the smell. I want to say they put the lid into a plastic container with oxyclean and a few hours outside.

Check over in the 1 gallon brewers unite thread it probably is in there.

Cool, I'll check over there. Thanks everyone.

Back