Toasted Almonds in Cherry Wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahammcp

Reaction score
Last night I started a 5 gallon batch of tart cherry wine. I was considering adding toasted almonds, but didn't really know how to go about it.

I was planning on toasting almond slices. Should I dump them into the carboy, or contain them in a bag? Should I over toast them to really bring out the "toasted" flavor?

Any advice on how many to use? I'd love any input, even if its just a brainstorm among fellow wine makers!

I would not try overtoasting them--I would see that just not working like you plan...unless you like the flavour like that. Try not to add the skins, unless you want the bitterness from that. Whether you want to use a brew bag or loose I think is entirely up to you, although removing them would be easier if they are contained.

There might be some useable information here, where I inquired about making an almond mead.

Brann_mac_Finnchad said:
I would not try overtoasting them--I would see that just not working like you plan...unless you like the flavour like that. Try not to add the skins, unless you want the bitterness from that. Whether you want to use a brew bag or loose I think is entirely up to you, although removing them would be easier if they are contained.

There might be some useable information here, where I inquired about making an almond mead.

Thank you. I have decided against the addition of almonds in the primary. I plan on splitting my secondary into two, and add almonds to one of them. Your almond mead thread provided me with the insight I needed. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back