Using Pectinase at end of boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GavSenior

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been experimenting with adding fruit at the end of the boil but I often get a haze, which I assume is a Pectin haze as I have no problems with clarity in my other beers.

I know that Pectinase can be used to reduce this but I am uncertain when to add it. Some things I have read say to add it when I add the fruit but I have also read that pectinase has an optimum temp of 50°C. So if I add it at the end of the boil, when I add the fruit, I am worried that the enzyme will denature and have no effect.

Is it ok to add the pectinase at the end of the boil when I add the fruit? If not, when should I add it?

Thanks!

I'd be tempted to add it to the fruit and hold it at 50 C BEFORE adding it! Then you won't have to worry as much about sanitation and losing enzyme activity.

Many people who make wine out of blackberries and other berries/fruits don't boil their fruit.

That said, they're just throwing pectinase right into the fermenter.

Back