Hazelnut extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Misener

Reaction score
Hey all, first time poster, and I was wondering if i could get some advice. I'm brewing a Christmas brown and want to add hazelnut and nutmeg, but I'm not sure how much extract I should add and at what point in the process. It's a 6 gallon batch.

Most extracts I've seen recommend 4oz per 5 gallons. And most are added into the bottling bucket or keg. So 4.8oz then would probably be a good starting point. Or go with less you can also add more later. You can't take it back out once in.

Do not add 4 oz! I recently brewed a Rogue Hazelnut Brown clone and added about 3oz of natural hazelnut extract which was overkill. The nut flavor is finally starting to subside and the beer is coming through, but for about a month all I could taste was hazelnut. I suggest adding 1-2oz at first, then taste and step it up if desired. The key is start small, you can always add more. If I were to do it again I'd probably use 1.5-2oz.

I agree with BassBeer, 4 oz per 5 gallons is way too much. I brewed Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter and used 1/2 oz for 5 gallons (per his recommendation) and it was quite evident in the beer. I personally did not care for the taste of it; it had a cheap, imitation flavor to it. If I were to ever use it again I would not add any more than 1/2 oz per 5 gallon batch. You can add it post fermentation to the bottling bucket or at the bottom of the keg when you start racking. Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back