Safale-04 yeast (and yeast cake q's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazytwoknobs

Reaction score
Anyone else used this with good results? The top thing that shows up in google says "Safale yeast rocks", so I figure I'm in the clear.

Recipie:
3.3lbs. northwestern dark (liquid)
1.0lbs. wheat extract (dry, and I don't remember the brand, it's from my LBHS).
I steeped about 2lbs. of 80L malt as the temperature went from 135 to 160 (15 minutes or so).
1oz. Cascade.

It's only 4.25 gallons. No, I didn't take a OG reading (I feel like an idiot:drunk: ), even though I have a hydrometer, I'll take a reading in a week or so. The malt I steeped tasted like... well, like nothing... maybe a little bread-y, I might put it on cereal or something... I like the texture.

Think this might form a yeast cake I would keep using?

When do you know you have a yeast cake worth keeping?

What yeasts would I start using if I wanted to be able to keep using the cakes?

Safale-04 and 05 are both good dry yeasts, Nottinghams is another one people frequently mention as being good.

There is no real reason to reuse a yeast cake from a dry yeast since they are so inexpensive, you can, but it is not necessary. People reuse liquid yeast as it is significantly more expensive.

I reuse Nottingham all the time. If you have a beer that you brew on a regular basis it is just too easy to rack onto the cake.

ok, yeah, that makes sense.

I thought people would keep mixed strains as a cake, and re-use it all the time? I don't know where I get all these ideas from.

So I pitched last night, and it's going pretty darn quickly right now (7pm). You can *hear* the bubbles pop at the top of the carboy. It's a really interesting noise. Same thing with the apfelwein, which I didn't notice until today.

I pitch on the cake frequently and I use Nottingham for many brews. I wouldn't go to the trouble of washing and saving Nottingham or any other dried yeast, but if I'm in a brewing groove it makes sense to use the cake or at least a quart of it.

Latest posts

Back