fermented pineapple juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering if any of you have tried fermenting pineapple juice and what the out come was.

Fermenting pineapple and other juices is pretty common south of the US border.

Never done it myself, but I know it's commonplace in a latino kitchen. Subscribing to this thread to see what everyone else thinks.

I tried a pineapple cider that was terrible, but I'm going to try just the pineapple juice with good yeast and see what happens soon. I was inspired after having Maui Blanc, a pure pinapple wine from hawaii. Not amazing, but worth a shot. We actually had a forum on it.

Mzannie, who frequents the wine forum, has a recipe for 2 month pineapple wine that she insists should be consumed young (the wine, not the drinker). you'll find it here:

pineapple wine

The common drink with fermented pineapple is called Tepache. It's a common roadside low abv drink ladled out of large barrels at room temp. Traditional methods use the wild yeast of the pineapple rind.

My nanny is from outside Sonora where it's pretty common. She showed me how to make it once... it was frankly pretty rank. The lack of proper sanitation and wild yeast produced the dreaded Bandaid taste. No clue if that's how it normally tastes. Still intrigued I remade it but inoculated it with campden tabs first then pitched a cider yeast. I wanted to control the fermentation more. It still didn't taste very good. Very tart and with the fermented sugar primarily being cane sure, there wasn't much body. The fermented pineapple was questionable too.

Rough ingredients (traditional):
2 Gallons water
1 whole pineapple. Chopped with rind.
2 sticks of cinnamon
3 cones of piloncillo (basically browned real cane sugar)

Search tepache here and you'll see other's recipes. The above is the very basic traditional recipe. The end result is very relative to the origin. It's purpose is to be a very low cost way to produce alcohol so you should only expect so much.

Back