I must be loosen my mine, up in here, up in here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi74

Reaction score
Could anyone remind me on how to sweeten coffee wine on the second rack? I made about 3 1/2 gal of pure black coffee wine and I just tasted it on the first rack and it was Horrible!!!!! I added 1/2 cup sugar to about 1 gal boiling water to my must that was about 1.04 for 3 gal. Should I added more sugar on the second rack again or iz this the way that coffee wine iz until it ages in their bottles for awhile and sweetens up?

Could anyone remind me on how to sweeten coffee wine on the second rack? I made about 3 1/2 gal of pure black coffee wine and I just tasted it on the first rack and it was Horrible!!!!! I added 1/2 cup sugar to about 1 gal boiling water to my must that was about 1.04 for 3 gal. Should I added more sugar on the second rack again or iz this the way that coffee wine iz until it ages in their bottles for awhile and sweetens up?

I'd wait until it's completely done, and then stabilize it before sweetening. Just adding sugar now means the sugar would ferment out and leave a higher alcohol wine, with no sweetness.

Some winemakers do incremental feeding, to eventually overcome the yeast and end up with a sweet wine, but it generally makes sweet rocket fuel that takes years to age out.

Once it's done, completely clear, and no longer dropping any lees at all after at least 60 days, it can be stabilized by racking onto campden and sorbate, and then sweetened to taste 3 days later.

Back