Tell me what you think

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
I made up this reciepe and brewed it this weekend, I call it Smoked on the Hops.

.50 lbs. Belgian Cara-Pils

.50 lbs. Crystal Malt 40°L

.50 lbs. German Smoked

.25 lbs. Peat Smoked Malt

3.0 lbs. Dry Extra Light Extract

6.6 lbs. Liquid Amber Extract

.5 oz. Magnum (Pellets, 15.0 %AA) boiled 60.0 min.

1.0 oz. Galena (Pellets, 13.00 %AA) boiled 30.0 min.

1.0 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 6.0 %AA) boiled 5.0 min

1.0 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 6.0 %AA) Dry hop in secondary.

Maybe I cannot leave things alone, I like to try different things beside buying "Kits":ban:
OG was at 1.064 for 5.5 gallons

It should be interesting. That is a lot of smoked malt. Every brew I have done with smoked, I have limited to just an oz or two. It should turn out rather well, it is probably hoppier than I would have done for that beer but should be very good.

I did a brew that had 2oz of peat smoked malt in it, along with .25lb of belgian aromatic, and 10oz of Crystal 60L. I only used 2oz of Goldings (5% AA) @ 60min. it has a very proment smoked flavor, and I don't know that I would want too much more hops or too many other flavors. at an OG of 1.074, mine was a not a beer that I would drink more than 1 or 2 at a time of.

Let us know how it turns out, it is surely going to have a lot of diffrent flavors going on. If it goes well, I may give it try. I really like making driffrent beers, that have flavors in them, that you don't get, in store bought beers.

Yeah, peated malt is a different animal. A couple of ounces is all you need. I'd cut the 0.25 in half to 2 ounces, but that's just me. It will probably be very smokey. Let us know how it turns out.

If your German Smoked is Rauch Malt, the peat-smoked is about 20 times as smokey. It's about the difference between burning your toast and eating charcoal brickette. Old Bog Water uses 4 oz. of peat-smoked & I age it two years. Plan on long aging.

All this talk, I decided to get a half-pint of OBW 2003. Fine stuff!

The 1/2 lb of German was hardly smoky at all. The Peat Smoked Malt was smoky but I like the flavor and it was only 4oz. I smoke alot of meat in my smoker so this just seems natural to me. Thanks for your inputs I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Brew-boy said:
The 1/2 lb of German was hardly smoky at all. The Peat Smoked Malt was smoky but I like the flavor and it was only 4oz. I smoke alot of meat in my smoker so this just seems natural to me. Thanks for your inputs I will let you guys know how it turns out.

So how's it going so far? I'm planning on brewing a smoked beer soon and I was wondering how long I should age it for... anyway let me know how it tastes!

Latest posts

Back