Amarillo Ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrskunk

Reaction score
This recipe is based on edwort's haus pale ale so i take no credit.

Just looking for feedback if the grain bill works with the hops, and if the hop schedule works. I have never had a hop forward Amarillo based beer so I'm interested in maximizing hop flavor.

Type: All Grain Date: 4/4/2012
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00
Boil Time: 60 min
Est Original Gravity: 1.061 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.011 S
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.5 %
Bitterness: 50.2 IBUs

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 75.0 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 16.7 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 11.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 9.7 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 8 7.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 3.2 IBUs

60 minutes at 152 degrees, Batch sparge.

Recipe looks good, but I don't any yeast here...?? I would suggest White Labs WLP001.

Observations: The beer will be quite pale in color and might finish higher than 1.011 FG.

Advice: If desired, add some darker malts for a color boost (not necessary though). You could also replace a portion of 2-row with some corn sugar if you wanted more dryness.

For the hops, something more flavorful/aromatic in my opinion might look more like this:

1.25 - 1.50 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.50 - 2.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
2.00 - 2.50 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - Flameout/Whirlpool
2.50 - 3.00 oz Amarillo [8.50 %] - 7-12 day Dryhop

yeast is us-05

I'd like to do bigger late addition hops but cost is a factor, I was excited I could actually buy some Amarillo, now I'm all miserly with it.

do you think the recipe could benefit from some corn sugar? sorry I'm a noob learning as he goes. Also with the hop amount I posted would I get closer to what I was looking for by upping the cent then doing a 1oz 20 min addition and a 1 oz 5 min

I would skip the 20 minute addition and add that extra amount to the knockout addition. or dry hop with it

I think it would benefit from some corn sugar for my tastes since I prefer drier IPAs. But you wouldn't add it as is and expect the same FG. You would supplement 4-7% of the 2-row with it.

Your choice on the hop schedule... I told you what I preferred. You'll get more aroma/flavor from 10 or 15 than 20 or 30. I prefer adding flameout hops at mid-whirlpool instead of actual flameout, or even at 5 minutes. This is not often done, but I get more aroma this way. A decent dryhop is essential for my IPAs but you can still brew a fine IPA without one, or with a very weak dryhop.

For the most part, you seem to have a good recipe, i.e. full wort boil, good yeast, grist, low FG characteristic of the style, a clear idea, etc. You only really needed some hop advice. The other tips on color & corn sugar are minor.

I've did something very similar last fall and it turned out great, probably my best to date. I had an extra pound of 2-row (my efficiency may be lower) and used 1# c40 instead of your c-10 and c-pils. I used 6 oz of Amarillo though. If that's all the hops you have, get some more Centennial for bittering (at least .75 oz) and use the Amarillo with 1 oz at 20 mins for flavor and 1 oz at 0 to 5 mins for aroma. I would definitely add some dry hop too. As far as yeast, I used Nottingham.

i was just thinkig on the way home im gunna make an "amarillo sky Pale ale"

when a jason aldean song came on

for the grain bill, i'd add a little more crystal to it. i make something similar, with 9 lb 2-row, 2 lb vienna, and 1 lb c30-40 (depending on which lhbs i go to). i'd also remove that 20 minute addition and dry-hop with it

Back