AHS Magic Hop Dust

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess its like smoking that stuff in the bottom of a baggy not sure what its called as I don't smoke, but i recall my friends talking about it years ago in highschool

-=jason=-

Way to turn trash into money!

hahaha, at least they aren't trying to hide what it is. I normally pay $2 an ounce for hops (I don't have the resources to store ingredients, so I order what I need as I brew) so for me it is worth a shot. I'll get some hop complexity and only pay $7 for 10 ounces, which would normally cost me $20.

Yeah, sounds interesting to me. I'd try it out in an IPA. I don't really follow guidelines so much, so something like this is right up my alley

That's way too expensive when you can buy hops in 4oz increments for .50 to .70 cents if you look hard enough. Were these .25 cents an ounce, then I'd definitely pick some up.

I'll get some hop complexity and only pay $7 for 10 ounces, which would normally cost me $20.

I get not being able to store ingredients, but if you're using 10 oz in one batch it doesn't seem over the top to get 1 pound. And you can get that for less than $20. Or you could get the Pliny Pack from Farmhouse Brewing Supply (12-13 oz for $12.50).

Just my $0.02.

Way to turn trash into money!

Not trash. The hops pellets are compressed hop dust. If it loses it's shape and turns back into dust it is exactly the same as pellets. It just doesn't look like rabbit food any longer.

Forrest

Not trash. The hops pellets are compressed hop dust. If it loses it's shape and turns back into dust it is exactly the same as pellets. It just doesn't look like rabbit food any longer.

Forrest

Yeah. But tell the truth. What did you used to do with this magic dust before you got the idea to sell it?

Question though. Is each 1oz baggie a single hop type. Or do you mix the dust up prior to packaging?

That's way too expensive when you can buy hops in 4oz increments for .50 to .70 cents if you look hard enough. Were these .25 cents an ounce, then I'd definitely pick some up.

If they were way below my cost at 25 cents an ouce I would buy a lot of them too. Just sayin'

(there is the oxygen barrier bag, the label, the labor at 25 cents a minute, plus the hops cost a lot more than 25 cents an ounce. I am losing money at 69 cents.)

We did this in the past under the name Hop Suey and we sold 100s of pounds. I am glad every one enjoys the novelty. It is kind of like the Mystery flavored Dum Dums. They make those when they switch out flavors and some suckers are a blend of flavors.

Thanks for all of the orders for the Magical hop dust. We only have 100 pounds right now and it will go quickly.

Forrest

Yeah. But tell the truth. What did you used to do with this magic dust before you got the idea to sell it?
Question though. Is each 1oz baggie a single hop type. Or do you mix the dust up prior to packaging?

We have always sold it. It just sells faster than we can produce it and we run out. We bag the hops, collect the dust, and we don't bag for a while so we run out of the magical dust. Sometimes it is only available in store when the demand is so huge. It is a blend of more than 20 different hops. This batch will be different from the next round but for the next 1600 ounce it will be the same blend of a lot of hops.

Truth be told.

Forrest

Thanks Forrest. I don't care what everyone else says. You're alright.
I was thinking of ordering your Scottish /80 kit, until I noticed that all grain was only $1 less than extract. But then I saw that it included 175 pounds of specialty grains. Damn, what a deal!!

Good for you Forrest - creating a product for a market. Capitalism! Good for you...

I was measuring out some hops that I was going to give away for free on this forum as part of the pay it forward thread, and I thought about the "dust" and if there was a market.

Glad you created a market! :mug:

I was thinking of ordering your Scottish /80 kit, until I noticed that all grain was only $1 less than extract. But then I saw that it included 175 pounds of specialty grains. Damn, what a deal!!
It certainly DOES say that, doesn't it. :rockin:

yeah shake is what I was thinking of.

so in this is just the dust from the hops pellets left at the bottom of the barrels or buckets they are stored in.

shoot you paid for xx pounds might as well sell xx pounds

thats like throwing away the delicious Jalapeño dust from David's jalapeño sala sun flower seeds. if I could buy Jalapeño dust from David's like you do spices i'd buy it and be putting it on my chicken and all burgers. that dust is like crack to me.

-=jason=-

I get not being able to store ingredients, but if you're using 10 oz in one batch it doesn't seem over the top to get 1 pound. And you can get that for less than $20. Or you could get the Pliny Pack from Farmhouse Brewing Supply (12-13 oz for $12.50).

Just my $0.02.

I'd definitely order a pound if I were doing a big, single hop IPA or something like that, but in my case, if I'm already ordering from AHS or someone else, I'd rather not have to pay extra shipping to get hops from hopsdirect or another vendor that has cheaper hops. It usually all equals out in the end.

If I had a dedicated freezer, I'd order pounds of the hops I use most and could definitely save money that way, but I don't have the ability to do that right now.

Forrest

My comment was actually intended to be a compliment, not criticism.

I personally try to minimize the amount of hop dust in all stages of my brewing because it tends to take a while for the stuff to settle and compact, and also requires very careful racking to avoid getting too much of the stuff into the keg, but I've always been sad about seeing the stuff getting thrown out. But as long as the dust isn't oxidized, it should be perfectly good for adding flavor complexity if used in appropriate amounts relative to the main hops.

Yeah, sounds interesting to me. I'd try it out in an IPA.

Exactly what I was thinking. Not really to save money, but as a fun experiment. I'd only use it for flavor/aroma and not bittering just to give myself a little control over the IBU's. Magic hop dust IPA has a nice ring to it.

I was thinking about "Eat My Dust Pale Ale". I have the lables ready already. It is a muscle car peeling out but hop cones are flying instead of smoke. What do you think?

Forrest

I was thinking about "Eat My Dust Pale Ale". I have the lables ready already. It is a muscle car peeling out but hop cones are flying instead of smoke. What do you think?

Forrest

I ordered 3 oz. I plan to put them in at 60, 15 and 5 minutes ( 1 oz each ) in a batch of 10 lbs 2 row, 1 lb crystal 40 and 1/2 lb carapils. Gonna call it "One Night Only" due to the unreproducible hop combinations of the additions.

Forest, you might want to fix that page, before someone actually expects to receive 175lbs of grain!

The magic hop dust is a great idea, just for something fun. Think I'll give it a shot, too.

It is a blend of more than 20 different hops.
Just bought some of this to hop an Irish Red and plan on calling it something in the neighborhood of "Viginti Red" (viginiti being latin for 20 in note of the varied hops that get dusted). If it's worth making again, I'll start to number the batches such as "Viginti Red No. 3"

I think more accurately it would be called Kief. That's what my friend said, at least it looks more like Kief than shake, he muttered.

this Kief is like a fine powdery substance isn't it I recall seeing some type of paraphernalia use in the collection or harvesting of kief.

yeah it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kief

and yes there were using some type of container or device to collect said "kief"

-=Jason=-

this Kief is like a fine powdery substance isn't it I recall seeing some type of paraphernalia use in the collection or harvesting of kief.
yeah it is
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kief
and yes there were using some type of container or device to collect said "kief"
-=Jason=-

Powder at the bottom, like magic dust. Shake is normally the fine leaves that are trimmed from the flowers and because of the whole sticky thing they don't drop. You literally 'shake' them off and because they are so close to the flower my friend says they have more goodness than just the leaves and are kept separate. He's the expert, I don't know anything.

Powder at the bottom, like magic dust. Shake is normally the fine leaves that are trimmed from the flowers and because of the whole sticky thing they don't drop. You literally 'shake' them off and because they are so close to the flower my friend says they have more goodness than just the leaves and are kept separate. He's the expert, I don't know anything.

Trimmings = leaves and micro leaves cut from the buds when harvesting, normally used for cannibutter.

Shake = dried bits that fall off in the bag. Usually consumed the typical way.

Kief = very fine trichomes (that are 99% active ingredient) that are usually harvested for hash or sprinkled on top of a normal bowl. You can harvest it by shaking the product over a large screen or through a small screen in a personal grinder. You need to run it through some sort of screen to filter larger particles out.

google trichomes to check out a pic or two if you're curious. Magic Hop Dust = shake.

Not to Hijack (or bring back from the dead) this thread, but I'm going to.

Whaddya think about doing a SMaSH with this, say around 10-12 lbs of MO or Vienna? I know technically it leaves out th -SH part, but still.

Could be interesting.

"Kief is like fire,a little warms,a lot burns."-old Arabic saying. Well,since they're both basically "shake",then how about "Kief Lightening IPA"? It was also known in some parts of the world in our day as "lightening dust". It's the crystallized resins,mainly off the buds,but some off the rest of the plant as they're hung upside down to dry. The roots are sprayed with,say white rum & peppermint schnapps & other such things to drive more resins out of the roots & stems.

I ordered 3 oz. I plan to put them in at 60, 15 and 5 minutes ( 1 oz each ) in a batch of 10 lbs 2 row, 1 lb crystal 40 and 1/2 lb carapils. Gonna call it "One Night Only" due to the unreproducible hop combinations of the additions.

Seen the "hop dust" awhile back on AHS site and just couldn't think of a use. I do like the idea of an IPA..

I won't be brewing this any time soon but something to keep in mind.

FWIW, I ordered and used some of the magic dust, and it is great stuff. Did a simple APA with a friend and it turned out excellent. Fun experiment, good for "whatcha got brew" :D

I did this amber with AHS Hop Dust. Very tasty.

10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
1 lbs Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
21.00 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.74 %] (60 min) Hops 32.5 IBU
14.00 gm Magic Hop Dust [7.00 %] (20 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
14.00 gm Magic Hop Dust [7.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
14.00 gm Centennial [5.65 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -

I entered 6 beers in a competition that was held today. The 2 beers that I used the magic hop dust in were the only ones that placed. Just saying.

I just ran into this stuff on the AHS site and wondered if there would be a thread here. Pretty neat way to make use of what otherwise would be scrap: I might try this to experiment on an otherwise simple beer.

Latest posts

Back