IPA in primary 2 weeks, Still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cosfamiy1

Reaction score
I started my first beer 2 weeks ago. I placed in the basement at a temp of 63. It is still bubbling every minute. If I take a specific gravity and it has reached the final gravity listed on the recipe can I go ahead and bottle? I have been told all the solids will spoil the beer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bubbling just means CO2 is escaping. At 2 weeks you're almost certainly done fermenting. Take a hydrometer reading, though it may differ from your recipe. That's fine, you just want stable gravity.

If it tastes good and the gravity is stable, bottle it up! It's an IPA, so are you dry hopping? If so, add your hops and give it another few days, then bottle.

If it is still bubbling then let it be. Hard to say whether it was the 63 or your beer internal to the carboy/bucket warmed up too much during fermentation. The beer should be checked for temperature in the bottle/bucket. A good way to control the process is to insulate a thermometer from the outside air and place a thermo probe on the carboy/bucket.

A final gravity of 1.010 would suggest it is done fermenting but if it still bubbling, let it be.

The air lock is not a good measurement of when a beer is ready or not. If the beer has reached its final gravity assuming that you had a good orignal gravity from the begining then its good to bottle.

Bubbles are not a a defining sign of continued Fermentation. If the gravity remains the same over a 3 day period it's done. CO2 is in solution so changing temps and atmospheric conditions are just a couple of reason that can drive off CO2 which is in solution of the beer.

Gravity, what is yours? If stable it is, at final gravity your beer should be.

I think you are getting some bad advice. Measuring the gravity and having it be at the FG in the recipe is NOT a way to tell if the beer is done. You need to take a FG reading and then another reading 3 days later and compare. THEN you can call it stable and bottle.

BTW - whoever told you that leaving beer sitting on the "solids" was a bad thing was also giving bad advice. You can safely leave a homebrew on the yeast for many months as long as you don't keep opening it and letting in O2.

Just echoing the others. Go by the hydrometer reading to determine where you are in the fermentation process. And taste the hydrometer sample. If you like the results, go ahead and rack. If the flavor could be smoother, leave it on the yeast for another week or two. I leave all my beers in primary for at least a month, even if fermentation is done.

Opened the bucket took a reading it was 1.022. Is is batch screwed up? It looked good and smelled good. Thanks for your help.

Sorry, but how do we know it isn't done?
What was the OG and what was the recipe? If this is a 1.065 OG extract recipe, I would almost guarantee it is done. A 1.040 OG recipe is another story. I didn't see any details at all earlier in the thread...

Leave it another week. Maybe even raise the temp a bit. 1.022 seems too high for a FG.

I, also leave my beers in primary 3-4 weeks.

Shed a tear 'cause I'm missing you
I'm still alright to smile
Beer, I think about you every day now
Was a time when I wasn't sure
But you set my mind at ease
There is no doubt you're in my heart now

Said beer take it slow
It'll work itself out fine
All we need is just a little patience
Said sugar make it slow
And we'll come together fine
All we need is just a little patience
Patience, patience, patience
Ooh, oh, yeah

I sit here on the stairs
'Cause I'd rather be alone
If I can't have you right now, I'll wait dear
Sometimes, I get so tense
But I can't speed up the time
But you know, love, there's one more thing to consider

Said beer take it slow
Things will be just fine
You and I'll just use just a little patience
Said beer take the time
'Cause the lights they shine so bright
'Cause you and I've got what it takes to make it
We won't fake it, ooh never break it
'Cause I can't take it

'Cause a little patience, yeah, yeah
'Cause a little patience, yeah, yeah
Just a little patience, yeah, yeah

I've been walkin' these streets at night
Just tryin' to get it right
It's hard to see with so many around
You know I don't like bein' stuck in a crowd
And the streets don't change but maybe the name
I ain't got time for the game
'Cause I need you
Yeah, yeah well I need you
Oh, I need you
Whoa, I need you
Ooh, this time

Thanks for all your help. I especially liked the song. I felt like i had Axel with me watching the beer bubble. I wish I had taken a OG. I will was just so happy to be making beer.

1.022 is not done, what temperature are you fermenting at, 63° in the basement could be a bit low? Seems to be slow so it's probably too cool. Also what yeast are you using?

Sorry, but how do we know it isn't done?
What was the OG and what was the recipe? If this is a 1.065 OG extract recipe, I would almost guarantee it is done. A 1.040 OG recipe is another story. I didn't see any details at all earlier in the thread...

Because a 1.022 FG for an IPA is just too high. Hopefully, it will get going and finish up.

Yooper said:
Because a 1.022 FG for an IPA is just too high. Hopefully, it will get going and finish up.

Too high for any beer or too high for an IPA that is brewed to style? My question is in regards to whether or not more sugar will be fermented out. How can one possibly assume more will ferment out if he (she) does not know the recipe, OG, etc?

Just playing devil's advocate because this is a beginner's forum. I agree, it is LIKELY that some more fermentation could take place, but the point remains that without more info that determination cannot be made. At least, I cannot make that determination.

I've had a stout (Partial Mash), in primary for 3 weeks.

I pitched too warm and it went from 1.054ish to 1.023ish over night, without me ever seeing a bubble. It took two weeks to move to 1.022ish...then I moved it to a 3-5 degree warmer room (it was at 62, now its at 66) and in the last 3-4 days its dropped to 1.017ish.

So I'd say move it to warmer spot for a week and see if it finishes up.

Too high for any beer or too high for an IPA that is brewed to style? My question is in regards to whether or not more sugar will be fermented out. How can one possibly assume more will ferment out if he (she) does not know the recipe, OG, etc?

Just playing devil's advocate because this is a beginner's forum. I agree, it is LIKELY that some more fermentation could take place, but the point remains that without more info that determination cannot be made. At least, I cannot make that determination.

Well, it would be very unusual for an IPA to be normal with a FG at 1.022. That, combined with a very cool temperature, make me think it's not done. Raising the temperature is often all that is required to get a beer to hit the last couple of gravity points and fully attenuate. It's also good practice for all beers to raise the temperature at the end of fermentation a bit, to allow diacetyl to clean up as well as to encourage the yeast to fully attenuate.

Even if the beer started at 1.075, I'd expect lower than 1.022 for an IPA in most cases.

But for ANY beer at all, I'd still like to see the temperature increased a bit at the tail end of fermentation, lagers and ales alike.

Yooper said:
Well, it would be very unusual for an IPA to be normal with a FG at 1.022. That, combined with a very cool temperature, make me think it's not done. Raising the temperature is often all that is required to get a beer to hit the last couple of gravity points and fully attenuate. It's also good practice for all beers to raise the temperature at the end of fermentation a bit, to allow diacetyl to clean up as well as to encourage the yeast to fully attenuate.

Even if the beer started at 1.075, I'd expect lower than 1.022 for an IPA in most cases.

But for ANY beer at all, I'd still like to see the temperature increased a bit at the tail end of fermentation, lagers and ales alike.

I can appreciate that.

I guess my point was that it is common enough for extract batches to end right at 1.020 and for partial mash or AG brews to be mashed at a slightly higher temp, causing higher than expected FG.

But I certainly agree an IPA *should* ferment a little lower and most or all beers can benefit from an increase in temp, whether after or late in fermentation.

Thanks for the clarification.

Gravity is better 1.018, but beer has a lot of stuff still floating in it. It looked grainy and the wood chips still floating. Will this settle, or how do I deal with prior to bottling? Thanks for any help.

Opened the bucket took a reading it was 1.022. Is is batch screwed up? It looked good and smelled good. Thanks for your help.
I would warm it up and let it sit for another week and then take another reading. If it's still 1.022 it's probably done. A little high for an IPA, but if it is extract, it isn't unheard of.

Gravity is better 1.018, but beer has a lot of stuff still floating in it. It looked grainy and the wood chips still floating. Will this settle, or how do I deal with prior to bottling? Thanks for any help.

Once it's done fermenting, it'll settle down. The fermentation itself "moves" stuff around in there. Once it's done, the yeast will begin to flocculate and the beer will clear, and some of the wood chips will also fall as well.

Lots of people try new things. Many of which are not to style. Who cares? We're all here to make beer and experiment.

Will this beer be something that the OP likes? Maybe. Something you would like? Maybe not. In the end, it is the brewer's choice when it comes to recipe formulation.

Exactly... unless you are brewing for a competition, experiment. It's what Hame Brewing is all about.

Lots of people try new things. Many of which are not to style. Who cares? We're all here to make beer and experiment.

Will this beer be something that the OP likes? Maybe. Something you would like? Maybe not. In the end, it is the brewer's choice when it comes to recipe formulation.

Beer is awesome!!!!!!! Thanks for all your help. The wood chips really made the difference.

They were heavy toasted oak chips. The hops were pilgrim hop pellets and first gold hop pellets. This beer thing is fun!

It is fun for sure. And very addicting. I just had shoulder surgery and am now trying to figure out how to get swmbo on board as my brewing partner.

Back