Impact of changing hop addition timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silvery37

Reaction score
I have a light beer I brew for my friends that like BMC, I may even like it too. It is just extra pale lme, corn syrup, beano, and white labs super yeast. I brew this using all extract to cut down on the time it takes to put it together.

The hop schedule is .75 ounce Hallertau at 60 minutes and then .25 Hallertau at 5 minutes. This results in about 14 IBU. The finished beer has a very slight bitterness. I would like to cut down the time spent brewing this beer even more. If I add the full ounce of Hallertau at 35 minutes the calculator I used said I would end up with the same 14IBU. How much would this change the flavor?

I cant detect any aroma hops with the 5 min addition so I dont think leaving this out will change anything. I just need a slight amount of bitterness to balance the sweetness. I want to make this brew as efficient as possible because I am going to be making it frequently.

You'll definitely get more flavor and aroma with a whole ounce boiled for only 35 minutes. It might actually be pretty good, but will be something your BMC drinking friends may not like (or it may open their eyes to more flavorful beer!)

try brewing ed worts haus ale,it's a well balanced recipe that even bmc drinkers will like.or use his hops, amounts and schedule in your recipe

At 35 mins, I doubt you could tell a difference. The flavor and aroma should still all boil off, I'd do it. I'd switch to a dry yeast like US-05 to make it even cheaper and easier.

Edit: you have to add a miniscule amount of hops at 5 mins and flameout so you can tell your friends it is "triple hops brewed!" ;)

I was planning on using s05 to make it easier. Whole brew day could be under two hours.

Yes, its made of an enzyme that makes non fermentable sugar fermentable resulting in a drier beer.

Latest posts

Back