Foiled by Auto-siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulgs3

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first batch ever. Everything is going smooth I'm about ten days in with my Ale happily living in my primary. OG 1.055, for three days my FG was stuck at 1.019 with a target of 10.15-1.017 (Extract kit).

I really really want to get a second batch going as I have a family gathering in mid June, and I just really love IPAs..... So I transfer to free up my primary, get some conditioning time in on the Ale before I keg, and get the IPA going today.

My first traumatic experience with brewing was using the auto-siphon. Very easy concept, wonderful device... problem was my tubing that came with my kit from MW was only 2 feet. I was already committed when I noticed the issue. As soon as I'd pull up on the plunger to force pressure the hose would pop out of my secondary carboy. Sanitary nightmare. In dire need of a third hand to make this all happen I trudged on as best as I could, bringing over with my precious ale a good chunk of trub from the primary. Luckily it settled back down. But I lost a good half gallon of beer with all the rattling in the primary.

I woke up this morning to see a wonderful head of foam on the secondary and the lock bubbling away. I guess I re-awoke some of the yeast and they are busy making me better beer I hope. I'm guessing I'm going to hit that target of 1.015 after all.

My advice from one noobie to another is do a dry run first, and make sure your siphoning hose is long enough before you commit :)

Just wanted to share, I'm off to prep from my second batch of homebrew!!

The good news is that the restart of fermentation means that any co2 produced should displace any oxygen that made it in during your problems. Weird that they should you only 2 feet of tubing, though. Mine is actually too long- I bought it from the store myself and just eyeballed it. I have to cut it, but I always forget until it's already sanitized. It's fine, but it is sort of "curled up" in the bottom of the receiving vessel and I need an extra hand to stuff it in there!

Good luck on the IPA- let us know how it comes out!

Splashing is BAD.

You can secondary in the keg.

Patience is the most important skill a brewer can learn. Sounds like you transferred too soon.

As soon as I'd pull up on the plunger to force pressure the hose would pop out of my secondary carboy.

I've done that as well, but you are better organized than I am. I usually don't notice until I start the siphon, and the beer ends up on the floor. :)

-a.

The beer bubbling away it's just its way of letting you know it's happy. By the way, if you want a longer tube, just go to your local home center. You can buy it for about $0.25 per foot. It comes in 10' & 20' rolls typically. Just cut it to length.

Back