19 bottles of hedgerow wine, Verdict + pic!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drknox

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Ive only just joined the forum, but im getting back into my brewing! im well into my hedgerow wine and a few weeks ago i finished my first 2 batches - 2 gallons of Blackberry + Sloe and 2 gallons Elderberry + black grape.

IMG_0901%20500%20w.jpg

Verdict..

Blackberry and Sloe.

The blackberry and sloe finished around 10.5%, light bodied and dry (Im not a fan of sweet wine so nearly all my brews are brewed dry).

But ill only give it 2 / 5 star rating, because i think i over extracted the sloe fruit (mainly the sloe skins) and it has given the wine a very 'astringent' feel to the drink - it feels like your gums and the inside of your top lip are stuck together! if anyone else has experienced this please let me know!

Elderberry and Black grape

This finished around the 14.5% mark, which is just about right because stronger might be abit too much! its dark, full blooded and dry.

At the moment, im giving this one 5/5, because it everything i like in my wine, dark, dry and full of flavour! im trying not to drink it all to soon! and the Elderberries really come through. Im gonna have to write a thankyou note to my neighbour who let me strip her whole grape vine in 10mins!

Hope you enjoy the pic of what left of this brew, ill post again when my parsnip wine has finished - pics to follow!

drknox

Latest posts

Back