First reading!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle6357

Reaction score
First ever batch had been in bucket for a week now ( Fat Tire clone)......got impatient and took a hydrometer reading. Got 1.012-.013 right where it should be. Will probably move it to the secondary carboy tomorrow to free up a bucket so I can start on another brew this week!!!!

Why not leave the clone in the primary and brew the new batch in your "secondary"? You'll have better results if you can leave a fermenting brew alone for at least 2 weeks, 3 if you can stand it.

Why not leave the clone in the primary and brew the new batch in your "secondary"? You'll have better results if you can leave a fermenting brew alone for at least 2 weeks, 3 if you can stand it.

Secondary is only 5 gallon carboy I got from a friend. Plus I want the clarity. I had read secondary helps with clarity. Next one is going to be an all-grain I want to try. I may still leave it a week and pick up a bucket; they are cheap!

Secondary is only 5 gallon carboy I got from a friend. Plus I want the clarity. I had read secondary helps with clarity. Next one is going to be an all-grain I want to try. I may still leave it a week and pick up a bucket; they are cheap!

You can primary in a 5 gallon carboy, just use a blow off tube in place of the airlock for at least the first three days of fermentation, if not for the whole time. It's the same thing, just an altered set up.

IME I can achieve the same amount of clarity from only using an extended primary and I can eliminate the risk of infection by not moving my beer unnecessarily. Remember that you'll also promote clarity when you chill it, either in the bottle or in the keg. If you really want some extra clarity, cold crash the fermenter before packaging.

Just my $.02

I would not use a 5 gallon carboy as a primary,you are going to have loss from blow for sure. I would pick up another bucket like you said,it's always nice to have more than one.
I almost never use secondary and my beer is clear.

I don't secondary either unless oaking or something. Since it seems to be at FG now,give it 3-7 days to clean up by products & settle out clear slightly misty before packaging. I'd get some more ale pails to be able to ferment more. Not to mention having enough fermenters to allow them to sit for the right amount of time without any racking.

Latest posts

Back