Measuring black pipe for gas plumbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Is there a standard length addition for fittings on gas pipe?

For example, I know the total length I need for my black pipe run, but don't know how much to subtract for the fittings.

If I could re-thread the pipe myself, it obviously wouldn't matter... but since I can't, I need to be able to buy the correct length to start.

Thanks for the help!

For example, I know the total length I need for my black pipe run, but don't know how much to subtract for the fittings.

If I could re-thread the pipe myself, it obviously wouldn't matter... but since I can't, I need to be able to buy the correct length to start.

Thanks for the help!

Not sure if this helps but when i did 3/4" black pipe I bought all my pieces at home depot. They have so many varying sizes it was like putting a puzzle together. But in the end I didn't have to cut or thread anything myself. I may have saved a couple bucks having odd sizes cut for a few scenarios though.

Oh and the most obvious benefit for me.....Home Depot is across the street.

Not sure if this helps but when i did 3/4" black pipe I bought all my pieces at home depot. They have so many varying sizes it was like putting a puzzle together. But in the end I didn't have to cut or thread anything myself. I may have saved a couple bucks having odd sizes cut for a few scenarios though.

Oh and the most obvious benefit for me.....Home Depot is across the street.

I think this is a great idea and good start. I would also talk to a HD staff person as well. I have found them very helpful.

I don't know what standard lengths the fittings will add, plus it kind of depends on how far you run the pipe into the fitting. I would suggest buying the long runs that you know you need and then buy a small selection or shorter pipe pieces and an asortment of fittings you are likely to use. This way you can adapt the pipe run to fit into your arrangement without having to make fifty trips to the hardware store. Once the job is done, return the stuff you didn't use.

Before you do any gas plumbing... have you sized your system to make sure it can support what you are putting in?

Here is a chart if you haven't done this already

Thanks for the help!

This should help. I made a scan from my pipefitter's text book that I got when I was an apprentice. It shows the appropriate take off measurements for screwed pipe fittings. The full page may not have the tables clear enough so I made a couple of detailed scans of the tables. These are image files, so you can right-click on them and save them to your computer for viewing.

17ac6306.jpg

9c9bdfb7.jpg

d7e5dac7.jpg

Good info there. The way I handled it was to guess as close as possible, then go buy a ridiculous amount of various sizes so I could mock it all up in the garage. I returned all the excess undamaged parts.

You could also just measure and have them cut and thread the lengths.

That table looks pretty handy, I figured they existed, just never saw one.

I have a "pocket Dictionary" size book full of aircraft related info, always wished I could find something similar for home use.

Back