Does Whirlpooling Inject Enough Oxygen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizBrew

Reaction score
I just got a new system up and running and now have the ability to whirlpool using a tangential inlet and a pump. I am doing 10-15 gallon batches. I have never whirlpooled before so I was just wanting a few pieces of advice.

First, I am using a plate chiller, and since I started using it and going directly to the fermenter (as opposed to pouring from a pot through a funnel) I have been concerned about my wort getting enough oxygen before I pitch. I have just been shaking the crap out of it, but there is more lag time than I would like (in saying that, last night's brew had a krausen in less than an hour!! Best I have ever seen). Question is, If I use the whirlpool method, will that give me all the oxygen I need to get things roaring quickly, or should I still consider a pure oxygen system (which was next on my list of brew tools)?

Second, when whirlpooling, should I run it continually through my plate chiller the entire time? I was thinking of running it hot (but slowly as to avoid hot side aeration)for 5 minutes to sanitize and then kicking on the cold water for another 15-20. Sound reasonable? Then I can just swap the hose from tangential to the fermentors. But, I also don't want a bunch of hops and crud in my plate chiller...

What do you guys think?:mug:

I don't think so. Using pure O2 will get you about 10 pom O2, whereas aeration will get about half that at best.

But if your results are satisfactory, go with what works!

I used a paint mixer and had good results.
That being said, I just got an O2 system that I will be using very soon to put more oxygen into the wort.
More oxygen equals happy healthy yeast. Happy healthy yeast equals good little beer makers.

I never had issues with the paint mixer, but an O2 system is an easy way for me to improve one element of the process.

Thanks for the replies!

I am definitely a believer in strong happy healthy yeast being the secret to good beer (along with temp control). I guess I will give it a try and see if my lag time lowers.

In truth, I might as well just go buy the O2 setup. I know I won't be satisfied until I know I have done everything I can think of to create the perfect environment. I haven't had any real problems or ended up with any crap beer but I think those little things can make noticeable improvements to beer that is already great.

Shaking supposedly can only get like ~8ppm on a regular beer I assume whirl-pooling is similar.

An aquarium pump on a longer cycle(~10 min on a 5gal) will usually get like 10ppm(which is what you want), for a straight o2 through a stone you'll get 10ppm in ~1 minute on a 5gal. But you can over-oxygenate with the o2 up to something like 30ppm.

Keep in mind that oxygen solubility is dependent on the gravity of the wort, temp, and bubble size. Higher the gravity lower the solubility(some big beers should get aerated again after 12hours in the fermentor), higher the temp lower the solubility, and bigger the bubble lower the solubility.

I just got a new system up and running and now have the ability to whirlpool using a tangential inlet and a pump. I am doing 10-15 gallon batches. I have never whirlpooled before so I was just wanting a few pieces of advice.

First, I am using a plate chiller, and since I started using it and going directly to the fermenter (as opposed to pouring from a pot through a funnel) I have been concerned about my wort getting enough oxygen before I pitch. I have just been shaking the crap out of it, but there is more lag time than I would like (in saying that, last night's brew had a krausen in less than an hour!! Best I have ever seen). Question is, If I use the whirlpool method, will that give me all the oxygen I need to get things roaring quickly, or should I still consider a pure oxygen system (which was next on my list of brew tools)?

Second, when whirlpooling, should I run it continually through my plate chiller the entire time? I was thinking of running it hot (but slowly as to avoid hot side aeration)for 5 minutes to sanitize and then kicking on the cold water for another 15-20. Sound reasonable? Then I can just swap the hose from tangential to the fermentors. But, I also don't want a bunch of hops and crud in my plate chiller...

What do you guys think?:mug:

Whirlpooling is a technique to reduce the trub entering the fermentor. For a plate chiller, I would whirlpool for 10-15 minutes. Shutdown the pump, let the wort settle out for about 30 min, then pump through the chiller into the fermentor. I us a IC and cill first then whirlpool but I don't think you want to pump all that trub through your plates which is why I suggest whirlpooling first in your case. Some platechiller guys may have better info.

I would not use a plate chiller in that fashion, mostly because I have tried it and failed horribly. Do your self a favor and only send whirlpooled and settled wort through the plate chiller. I sanitize with near boiling water from my HLT, and whirlpool with a boil sanitized stainless paddle. Also, your time and investment in materials is worth separating your aeration/oxygenation step to help ensure a repeatable and healthy fermentation. An under oxygenated fermentation, in general, can be an ugly thing.

Back