5 day yeast starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
I'm about to do my first recipe with liquid yeast (3068). Palmer says if you're going to brew on Saturday, make your starter on Wednesday. I'm getting my kit via FedEx today (thanks BMW!) and was hoping to brew tomorrow.

What will happen if I try to make a starter tonight and pitch tomorrow?

i think peak cell count is reached 12-18 hrs after pitching, so make the starter tonight and you'll be good to go tomorrow, that is what i did 2 weeks ago, worked fine.

appreciate it, your high post count got me worried i was missing some inside joke or something.

some brewers take some wort from their full mashes and can it to use for starters in later batches. but i'd say most would probably just use dme for the starter, given the ease of storage and lack of effort required to make the starter using it v. doing a tiny mash for 1-2 liters of wort.

And I have been brewing for close to a year now. I only just started doing All-Grain batches and so I just started using liquid yeasts.

OK, the pack is smacked and starting to swell. The starter wort is boiled, in the fridge and full of hot break material. I have a growler and funnel sanitizing.

Do I pitch tonight right before bed? I don't want to do it before the smack pack is ready...

Yeah, you can follow the instructions on the pack. They say to smack it a few hours (3 or 4 I think) before your suppose to pitch. I've never had any problems with those instructions except if brewing high gravity. Then you should definitely do a proper starter. I've been brewing the last 3 years with liquid yeast and it's always performed impressively no matter the conditions.

Latest posts

Back