A subtle...pesticide flavor/aroma? Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
So I brewed my punkinpie ale 3 weeks ago, and I racked it to the third carboy last night. I took a hydro reading, it's at 1.02, which is higher than it should be, but not bad. I'm a little worried, though, about this very subtle chemically/pesticidey note on the nose and palate.

Here's what happened: I sat around for hours trying to strain the pumpkin solids into the primary, but gave up after a long, long bout of scraping the funnel screen with a butterknife. So I poured the solids and all into the primary and fermentation went well.

When I racked into secondary, I was slated to lose a few gallons due to the 6" of pumpkin solids at the bottom...so I brewed a new supplementary batch. 1 gallon water, 12oz light DME, pumpkin pie spice, 1/2oz hop pellets. Boiled for 30 mins or so, cooled it, added to secondary, racked on top of that. Left it for about 1.5 weeks.

So when I tasted the original fermented stuff, it tasted great. But now, after having gone through an actual second fermentation of the supplementary sugars, it has this very subtle but definitely noticeable pesticide note, most evident on the nose and the finish---and especially in the subsequent beer burps afterwards.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I can't imagine it's a biological infection, because I haven't seen too many natural infections that produce such smells/tastes. I'm wondering if it's just the new spices being a little out of whack still?

Back