Final Gravity from Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shamukaiser

Reaction score
Here goes... I forgot to take OG reading... I have my recipe, and my Specific gravity is currently at 1.016-18.. (its a wheat ale) ... can anyone tell me, with regards to my ingredients, does my gravity reading sound "finished"? ... it has been fermenting now for 3 weeks....

here is the recipe: 5 gal batch

1 lb caravienne malt
3 lbs weizen dry malt
3 lbs muntons light extract
2 oz amarillo
2 oz amarillo (dry hopped)
muntons dry yeast

pitched at 75 degrees
primary - 5 days
secondary two weeks

I'd say your done, based on your recipe and time fermenting. If you want to take another sample shake it a bit,(you sample could be saturated with a bit of CO2. let it sit on the counter for 20 min. The hydrometer are corrected at 60F I think, so try to get your sample at that temp after it sits out for a while. I dont like using the correction factors at differant temps, but thats just me. Afte the time its been fermenting I dont think your gonna get much more out of your yeast, unless you were fermenting cold.

I have used muntons dry yeast and that ferments better than all the liquid strains I've used. Usually, when I make a batch similar to yours, about 3 weeks is sufficient for both primary and secondary. As Dark_Ale stated, go with the hydrometer for sure.

checked the FG again today, about the same, 1.016-18..... I'm ready to bottle,,, but before I do... is that reading too high? 1.016-18? ... a little nervous... but the reading has remained the same for the last 5-7 days....

thanks

Back