such a simple fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

postban

Reaction score
I noticed when switching from Extract to AG that I was getting a lot more space in the carboy taken up by break material, boiled hops and Irish moss;

Though to try and strain it out this last batch and it really did knock down the space taken up, only about 1/2" now in each.

I set the strainer in a big funnel and filled the carboys with my March pump. Filled the strainer about three times with solids.

I know that some swirl and rack from outer edge but I use a keggle/pump and a center pickup for the pump. Swirling just piles it right where the pickup pipe is (lowest part of the kettle bottom)

NvkKu5gGAs2tRztur9Ro9t22qgglhGQaxqmxMpo7im_KmRv3GfNTf9ogmSD-2LMUSH7_2zqs_qSBl5ZswaHmv7jyYMyS6fWiQHXCLgjgkz77jchD6G7PD1oQNnAPOvspeQmZXYNi3sTdlqJjbiqlMvHTYw0ISeSVMyuYH58sBb0MTU7cBpbsNlSak3kuwvo

Obvious solution is obvious I guess. :D

strained.jpg

Is that the reason that Midwest sells funnels with strainers that snap in?

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/8-funnel-with-strainer.html

Would have to see the mesh to tell if it is like mine. Also if that snap in part was as simple to clean as a separate one like mine. My funnel had a tiny little strainer but got clogged to easily as I recall while doing some wine. Took it out and mislaid it sometime last year.

Thinking it back through I tossed about 3 qts of break/hops/moss out. I think the bigger strainer suits the purpose better.

i have a funnel w/ a mesh screen and i always have to keep sturing it so all my wort will keep flowing into the carboy. was looking at getting a strainer like that maybe i'll order one in!

Put an elbow on the inside of the kettle and use some soft copper tubing to bed it around the perimeter of the kettle. That way you draw from the edge instead of where everything piles up. Whirlpool for a bit before you start the pump and that should help out a bunch too.

Back