champagne yeast won't stop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightlord9

Reaction score
Hey guys. I was experimenting with a strawberry melomel recipe that I have used many times. I fermented it with a champagne yeast this time to dry it out. It sure the hell is dry....I added potassium sorbate then my strawberries. Well, the damn thing started fermenting again. Does anyone know if the PS has a shelf life before it loses its viability?

Any suggestions how I can stop that champagne yeast?

potassium sorbate alone won't stop fermentation, it simply keeps the yeast from multiplying, there were still plenty of viable yeast floating around to ferment more sugars.

Normally you would rack your wine to reduce the yeast count, then add potassium sorbate and Potassium metabisulfite(campden) to stop any further fermentation.

If your mead is still cloudy, even adding both may fail. They work best with clear mead that has the lowest numbers of viable yeast.

Medsen

Is it fermenting or just burping CO2 through the airlock? airlock bubbles do not equal fermentation...

would cooling the tempature below the yeasts favored prime environment to flourish do about the same thing to stop the process without adding anything? or does the fructose in the strawberry's just give the yeast another go at something to ferment?

Back