Little help if you please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cms2bit

Reaction score
New to home brew... Made a nice green apple Riesling, and am currently making hard ice tea. I have made two single gallon batches of cider. The first I let sit in primary for 3 weeks and secondary for one week and bottled for a week before drinking. The second was in primary for 3 weeks then back sweetened and cold crashed in the fridge for 3 more weeks... Now to the question. Why are both my cider batches very vinegar tasting?

Vinegar usually means they got infected with a acetic acid-producing bacteria. You can't really get rid of it from these batches, just pay more attention to sanitation next time.

Also, was the cider pasturized, what yeast did you use, or did you just buy unpasturized cider and let it ferment. The latter has a good chance of being vinegary since theres a crapshoot of various yeasts and bacteria.

Using the easy clean that came with the wine making kit..
Cider was pasteurized... no preservatives

Back