Can't cap some re-used bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlendieOfIndie

Reaction score
I spent a lot of time cleaning up some Pilzner Arquel bottles & my damn bottle capper won't cap them. The neck of the bottle is too large; so my bottle can't clamp down on the bottle. My capper is made by ... errr, the handle has "Brev. Italy" stamped on it. I'm pretty sure it's out of the catalog "Beer, beer, and more beer" (but I bought it in a kit from my LHBS).

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there any solution?

Only thing to do is buy a bench caper. I know the frustration, I have a bunch of dos bottles that I was gonna use, but they wont work.

There are several bottles the wing cappers don't seem to do well on. I never could cap Bass bottles and Bohemia bottles. You may be out of luck with capping them although a bench capper is liable to cap them.

Same with me- I just avoid bottles that I know won't work. Pilsner Urquell is one, and I think some of the other green bottles like Becks don't work.

Drink Sam Adams! The label comes off easy too.

It seems like several European beer bottles have a really skinny bead that makes it hard for the cap to grab. I've really found Sam Adams to be the easiest to both have the easiest labels to remove-as well as having a nice thick bead for capping.

BrewDey said:
... I've really found Sam Adams to be the easiest to both have the easiest labels to remove-as well as having a nice thick bead for capping.

Also try New Belgium bottles, they work really well for me.

Paulaner bottles have been my favorite. I set a tall cup with some microwave heated water in the sink, rinse and place the empties in it as drink 'em. The labels slide right off when I finish the next one.

I have only used a bench capper (home made) and have used various types of bottles with no problems. Have recently made a bench capper for a mate, who thinks its great.

Back