What happens if i mix two types of hops at the same time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewsochist

Reaction score
I'm brewing an imperial pale ale the grains are in the pic and the hops are all Columbus. Would it be wise to mix one ounce Columbus hops with half an ounce of cascade?

image-653379187.jpg

You're clearly doing it wrong. You should be mixing two ounces of Columbus with three ounces of Cascade. :rockin:

Your kettle will blow up in a giant mushroom cloud and a crevasse will open beneath your feet and suck you down into the depths of reinheitsgebot never to be seen again.

No really you'll be just fine and we do it all the time :mug:

can't really see the recipe and don't know what hops they consider bittering/flavoring/aroma and what you might be adding subtracting... you may alter the balance for the recipe they have created, but now its yours. My advice is write down what you just in case its good (high probability) :drunk:

As long as you consider the different alpha acid contents to keep the bitterness in the right range you want, blending hops is not only ok, it can lead to some really great flavor combinations. No worries! :mug:

My last IPA...

Amarillo, Cascade, Tettnanger, Hallertaur. All mixed together and continuos additions and dry hopped.

Listen to this man.

Better yet, throw in some Centennial in there too. Columbus/Centennial/Cascade is one of my favorite combinations.

careful, too much variety may cause this:
Your kettle will blow up in a giant mushroom cloud and a crevasse will open beneath your feet and suck you down into the depths of reinheitsgebot never to be seen again.

No really you'll be just fine and we do it all the time :mug:

:ban:

Dogfish Head mixes simcoe warrior and amarillo hops together and continually hops their 60 & 90 minute IPA's. I could be wrong, but I think they use a different combo for the 120 minute.

It's kind of like crossing the streams. All life as we know it could end.

I prefer Columbus to Centennial and Centennial to Cascade... but that's me

When it comes to bittering hops, you can use pretty much whatever as long as your IBUs come out the same... using the old HBU formula (basically just multiplying the alpha acid x the oz of hops) works just fine. TBH, to keep things simple that is the way I do it on commercial systems ;)

For flavor/aroma hops mix away to your heart's content! You may make a beer that isn't "technically" to style, but if your goal is just to make a good beer, GO FOR IT!

There used to be a big problem with mishopcenation in America, but it ain't the 1950s anymore - mixed hop beers are welcome in public now, and in me belly too.

I was gonna dry hop this brew and I was wondering if it'd also be wise to mix these hops. I think I'd be fine based on what most of you guys are saying. I'm just not to clear on the whole process. So I was thinking of dry hopping with centennial Columbus and cascade. So I just put the dry hops in the secondary fermenter and then siphon the beer into the secondary carboy?

Hops come in 3 basic types:

Bittering Hops = Hops that are not well suited for flavor/aroma, but have high Alpha Acids, so they are cost effective in the long boil, where the flavors and aromas will be boiled off, leaving just the bitterness.

Flavor/Aroma = Hops that have a pleasing flavor/aroma, and are usually also lower in Alpha Acids, so they are added later in the boil, or at flameout to impart their better flavors/aromas.

Combination hops = hops that are generally used for either bittering or aroma such as Centennial.

Aroma hops should also be used in Dry Hopping.

You can mix and match ANY hops if you choose to. You might not like the combination, and you certainly should check the Alpha Acid levels and make sure you aren't underhopping, or overhopping for your beer style.

But when it comes down to it, experimentation is encouraged!

bernerbrau said:
If you use 3 kinds of hops, it turns into Miller Lite.

If you use 4 kinds the skies will tear asunder.

5 kinds ends all life as we know it.

EDIT: 3000th post.... not bad.

Back