Brewed Yesterday: Nelson Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhart94949

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was hoping to break in my new SS BrewTech Brew bucket yesterday but while sanitizing I discovered a pin hole in the side. So that really pissed me off but the rest of the day went well.

I made a Nelson S. hopped Saison.
8lbs Belgian Pils
2lbs white wheat
.25lbs Special B

1 oz Willemette
.5oz Nelson
.5oz Nelson
1oz Nelson saved for Dry Hop

Farmhouse yeast

So here is my only question. I mashed for 90 min in an Igloo cooler sparged with 200 degree water for an hour and collected 6 gallons of wort. Boiled for 90min. cooled to 75 pitched yeast.

Here are my Gravity readings: Pre boil (from mash tun): 1.054, OG: 1.065

The original recipe calls for 1lb of table sugar after fermentation slows....with my gravity already being high and my estimated ABV being upwards of 7% should I still put 1lb of sugar in.....I know it will help it dry out but will it make it to potent (alcohol flavors)?

Original Recipe is in the Belgian French section or "recipe forum". I tweaked the grain bill and yeast a little.

At that mash temp I would probably add the sugar to dry it out. Assuming you got 5 gallons in the fermentor, one pound of sugar would raise the OG by about 9 points.

Does it have Brett in it? Am I correct in saying that the higher mash temp might benefit the brett fermentation?

Latest posts

Back