Can I wire two STC-1000s to an outlet and control two different heaters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MetallHed

Reaction score
Note: this is not for brewing related purposes. I just need to pick the brains of the masters on here...

I want to use two STC-1000s to control two different heaters, but using one socket and one power cord.

The heaters are 8W/110V each. I only need to utilize the heating function of the STCs.

I thought I could cut the jumper on a dual outlet (just like you would do when using the heat and cool functions of one STC) wire one STC to each socket while having a 14/3 cord bringing the power to the whole thing.

Here's a quick diagram I made:

UxtjnJG.png

Is there anything wrong with this plan? Will I blow my house up as soon as I plug it in?

I AM NOT A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN

...but that looks right to me. I have a similar setup for my two ferm chambers.

If you break the tab on the line side of the receptacle (which I think you are trying to show in your diagram) then you should be able to control the two outlets individually. Lots of rooms in some houses have an outlet that is half live and half switched. Neutral side of the outlet should be able to stay connected.

I AM NOT A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN

...but that looks right to me. I have a similar setup for my two ferm chambers.

Awesome, thanks for the reply!

If you break the tab on the line side of the receptacle (which I think you are trying to show in your diagram) then you should be able to control the two outlets individually. Lots of rooms in some houses have an outlet that is half live and half switched. Neutral side of the outlet should be able to stay connected.

Yep, I tried to show it in my Microsoft Publisher diagram there. lol Thanks for the reply!

Yeah man what you have pictured will work... What are you building now?!?!?!

Just a little project I like to call... "you'llsee" ;)

I'll have all the parts on Wednesday and I'll try to put everything together Thursday and update the thread on what I'm using this for. Should work out great if all goes according to plan!

Latest posts

Back