Had to Pump My Auto Siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msmith92

Reaction score
So after I sanitized my auto siphon by pumping sanitizer through it (worked fine) I went to transfer my beer to the keg.

Midway through the transfer bubbles and noise of the beer going through the tube started.

Then it stopped transferring!

So I started pumping it again and it would start and stop.

Finally, I had to pump all the beer to the keg.

So, is it going to be an issue? If so, what will the typical results be.

This is for a British Bitter.

Mine started doing something similar, it was sucking air through the seal. Rather than risk oxygenating the beer I replaced it immediately. Won't know if it's an issue till you drink some

The seal is leaking. I had one do that and I solved it by just adding some wort above the seal, using a sanitized turkey baster. Problem solved.

The seal is leaking. I had one do that and I solved it by just adding some wort above the seal, using a sanitized turkey baster. Problem solved.

This, except that I always just put a little sanitized water into the tube above the seal, and that solves the issue.

Always disassemble an auto siphon for storage...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: it's easier for the auto siphon to draw through the tip than around the gasket, unless the tip is getting plugged up...

just to add, i am not paranoid about cleanliness, but am reasonably careful, and the one thing that scares me is an autosiphon. just looks to me like there are lots of places for bugs to hide. i do use one because they are wonderful, but i like to replace it say once a year, you can give your (clean) used stuff to a novice/kit brewer who is still mouth siphoning, it's like giving a 1990 mercedes to a yugo driver.
if yours isn't sealing because it's getting old then maybe think about a new one? actually this served as a reminder to me, just added a new one to my list. and no, i don't work for the autosiphon sales dept
cheers

Back