Beersmith Decoction Set up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazybob

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am trying to set up a decoction profile on beersmith that has 3 temperature rests, followed by a batch sparge. I have the setup shown on the attachment, but I don't understand where the volumes all came from. I have also only done one previous brew with the software so I am not entirely sure I understand the ins and outs of it yet.

Anyway, it says in the lower left that I need a mash volume of 7.95 gallons, but I add under 7 gallons at the start (with 1.5 gallons absorbed), followed by 1.4 gallon at the sparge which comes out to 6.93 gallons, which is over a gallon short of what the software claims I need.

Can someone please let me know if I set something up incorrectly that I can adjust? When I use the "single infusion, medium body, batch sparge" it has me use a total of 8.37 gallons of water (6.87 after absorption).

Should I follow what beersmith has done for me? or did i do something incorrectly? Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

Mash Profile.jpg

What did you end up going with? I just took all of the water that I was supposed to add and added it to the mash in temp. I came out a bit low due of somewhere around a gallon to the boiling times, so I had to add more during my sparge. I will have to do the deconcoction more to figure out the water quantities.

Well truth be told, the more I researched the less confident I had with myself in attempting to decoct. I ended up using a multi step infusion in the end to achieve my temps. I did unfortunately fall a bit short of my final temp (160) , and only got to 157. End of the day I ended with a lower og than expect but am fermenting nicely do we shall see the final outcome.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

Back