Keeping temp in oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kayos

Reaction score
I am thinking of doing my first PM and was told an easy way to get the temp perfect is to get the oven just the right temp and then leave it in. If the thermometer was at the right temp, wouldn't this in theory be the perfect way? No coolers, just a pot. Am I missing something?

Most ovens won't let you set temp at 150F. Even if it did, I'd want to test the range that it keeps. Ovens don't keep an exact temperature, they go on at say 10 degreees less, and shut off maybe 10 degrees more. Otherwise, the element would be turning off and on all the time. I think this range is too high for mashing. I'd sooner keep a constant temp in a cooler.

Even if you can't set the exact temperature in the oven, you can pre-heat it to the lowest setting and shut it off when you put the mash in. Since the chamber is both insulated and approximately the right temperature, it would help. If the alternative is to let it sit in a 30F garage, I'd use the oven.

I just mash in a rectangular, un-spigoted cooler. Then I pour it into my botttling bucket that has a mesh bag in it. 15 batches of all grain that way so far.

It definitly helps to maintain temp if you pour the water in first, and let the square corners warm up before adding the grain.

I just noticed my turkey roaster has a setting down to 150. I might play around with it a bit and see what range it holds... As long as I don't brew on thanksgiving or Christmas I should be all set!

hey, i do it alll the time ... the rate of heat transfer is proportional to the temperature difference. translated: "if the oven is close to 150 (usually 170-200 at lowest setting) when you put the pot/mini mashtun (started at ~150F) in there .... it'll hold very close to the temp." works for me...
right on
brewfie

My oven and pot method works great for my beers. I usually preheat it to about 175F, turn it off and throw the pot in. I usually remove the pot and stir, if the oven gets a little cool I just turn it on for a few minutes and then turn it off again. The most range I've had on a mash in the oven inside a pot has been 2 degrees over 60 mins.

I have been mashing in the oven for years. I mash at 149ºF in a 200º oven and in an hour it comes out at 175ºF. In a 175ºF oven it comes out at 160ºF. At 150º You can leave it all night.

I don't know why you would want to turn the oven off. Then the temperature will go down.

Back