Small Kegs for Split Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmcmillen

Reaction score
I'm currently kegging to 5 gallon ball lock kegs, but occasionally I'll split a batch into different smaller batches (like two 2 gallon batches and one 1 gallon batch, or one 3 and two 1's, etc.) because of adding different adjuncts at secondary or when kegging.

I hate to waste my 5 gallon kegs for this, especially when I'm breaking into five 1 gallon batches, but the 2.5 or 3 gallon ball locks are around $100 each and it's almost impossible to find used ones, and they still are in the $70 range. That makes a dedicated 5 gallon ball lock still a lot cheaper. Of course the advantage of the 2.5/3 gallon kegs is that their more mobile.

Anyone know where I can score some inexpensive used 2.5 or 3 gallon ball locks or maybe have a suggestion as to another way to do this? -- Thanx!

You could buy 2.5 gal stainless fire extinguishers and convert them. Run a search for fire extinguisher keg for ideas. Another option might be the miller/coors homedraft systems. They're ~$20 each, come full of crappy beer, are easily converted for use with homebrew and hold 1.5 gal each. If you have friends who drink miller or coors you might be able to score some for free.

Good luck finding used ones much cheaper than a new one. I picked up two used ones from another forum member for 160 bucks. Sometimes they pop up on eBay and they seem to go for the 70-80 buck range. Honestly, if you are splitting one batch into 5, it makes more sense to bottle.

Latest posts

Back