Problem with making sourdough bread and beer in same room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dauntless

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I've started brewing this summer with a couple can kits. I also make sourdough bread several times a week.

Now sourdough starter is a mix of local yeasts and lactobacillus bacteria. None of the batches I've made have gotten lactobacillus infections, but I imagine the risk might be there. The wild yeasts I'm taking care of might make the jump as well.

Should I quarantine my sourdough starter?

Could I inoculate a batch with this starter and make a sour beer?

Or am I just a little crazy to be worried? Maybe I should just RDWHAHB and start making sour beers.

Ps. I know the can kits aren't too great, but 1oz hops goes for 10$ at my LHBS...

Hello everyone, I've started brewing this summer with a couple can kits. I also make sourdough bread several times a week.

Now sourdough starter is a mix of local yeasts and lactobacillus bacteria. None of the batches I've made have gotten lactobacillus infections, but I imagine the risk might be there. The wild yeasts I'm taking care of might make the jump as well.

Should I quarantine my sourdough starter?

Could I inoculate a batch with this starter and make a sour beer?

Or am I just a little crazy to be worried? Maybe I should just RDWHAHB and start making sour beers.

Ps. I know the can kits aren't too great, but 1oz hops goes for 10$ at my LHBS...

ur LHBS charges $10 an oz for hops? wow that's criminal

The yeast won't "make the jump" as you described. As long as you tend to sanitization and don't cross contaminate containers, spoons or other utensils I wouldn't worry about it.

And order your crap online if your lhbs charges that kind of money for hops. They are likely overcharging for other crap as well.

Holly crap! You're in Canada right...... not Antarctica. I can't see why the hops would be so outrageously expensive if the other brewing ingredients aren't marked up just as much. I would be finding another supplier.

Also, welcome to homebrewtalk.

Thanks for the input. I got bread and beer starting fermentation tonight.

As for my LHBS, they sell equipment for less than what I see online and have malted grains for 2$ a pound. I did get a "deal" today and got a half ounce of cz saaz hops for 2$. I'll be dry hopping with it.

:off:I actually want to purposely use a sourdough starter in my next batch. its going to be a one gallon experiment...

Would you just make a wort like usual and add a few tablespoons of starter? Before pitching, after pitching, instead of pitching?

It might try and follow your lead on such a project. See what the results are from two opposite ends of the continent. My starter has a very strong leavening power even though it has never come in contact with commercial yeasts.

Been thinking the same thing. I have a good SF sourdough starter going. Thinking about using a half oz or so in a starter.

My plan (for a one gallon test batch) is to mash one pound of two row in a quart of water, cool, then pitch about 1/2 cup of sourdough starter. Let this concoction sit for 24 hours or so. Then on brew day mash another pound of two row, with a few ounces of something else for color (thinking maybe biscuit or some crystal 40). once done with this mash start boil. then i plan on straining the sourdough slurry into the boil through a fine sieve. a bit of hallertau at 30 minutes, bit of whirfloc at 15, then cool and pitch neutral ale yeast (probably culture a bit of the cali cake from my beer in primary now). I think I'm going to start this one soon, I've got a starter from neighborhood bakery!

So you'd be souring half the beer (grain wise) for 24 hours, sterilizing, then brewing as usual. Sounds like fun.

You're in Canada right...... not Antarctica.

No, he's in Quebec. If you don't understand the difference, don't go there.:D

OP - Planning sours beers sounds like a good move, because lacto gets into everything.

No, he's in Quebec. If you don't understand the difference, don't go there.:D

OP - Planning sours beers sounds like a good move, because lacto gets into everything.

Don't say that ughhhh..... I haven't been brewing because of time/child constraints but I have started a nice sourdough. I'd hate to have to get rid of it because of lacto infection in my beers. I don't mind the occasional sour beer but have no intention of souring half my beers, especially at random.

So you'd be souring half the beer (grain wise) for 24 hours, sterilizing, then brewing as usual. Sounds like fun.

Yeah, I want to try that approach first. If this turns out well then I may just try using a sourdough starter for my whole fermentation. we'll see

Back