Lagunitas Hop Stoopid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaneogle89

Reaction score
Absolutely love IPA's and Double IPA's but I was not a huge fan of this brew. Maybe because it's the fact that it's made with hop extract. Tastes to artificial and syrupy to me. After being spoiled with Stones ruination this beer just doesn't cut it. What do you guys think?

Absolutely love this beer. For year round double IPA's it doesn't get much better for my money. Super dry, with both sweet and bitter hop flavors, and all at 4.50 a bomber.. Tough to beat.

If you knew it used hop extract before you tried it, you might have been looking for something.

Hop Stoopid is an awesome beer. Syrupy also doesn't begin to describe it.

Yeah this is a fantastic beer and a great value. Are there better, sure, but it is tasty, priced right, and available year around. I do not think it is syrupy at all.

I really wanted to like it. I've heard great things but it was too sweet for me. Doesn't feel like it lived up to the 102 IBUS. I'd rather go for a Ruination, Double Jack or Green Flash Imperial.

Well hop extract doesn't taste syrupy. It's purely to get the IBU's up without getting the vegital flavors from adding so many hops. I do agree with you that it does taste a little sweet but with all those hops I believe it is well balanced.

Bought it two weeks ago and went back for more today. Such a citrus/grapefruit start to it. At 8% I love it.

yeah, this is still one of my absolute favourite go-to beers. it's massively hopped and has a pretty nice malt backbone to it.

My LHBS store was saying that Hop Stoopid's hop profile is going to change soon? Has this already happened or has anyone heard anything about it?

Everyone has their own taste. Generally speaking I don't care for Stone's flavor profile and like the flavor profile of Lagunitas. Preferences make the world go round!

I dumped the beer it was so bad. I mean it's got nothing going for it. Nonsensical alcohol bite, artificially hopped goo and limited depth. If you want a nicely hopped beer that actually has some nuance and complexity try the Sierra Nevada Southern Hemisphere Ale made with New Zealand hops...It's a little bit more expensive than the hop stoopid but it's also a 24 ounce bottle :)

I honestly would rather drink a can of Camo Black than Lagunitas Hop Stupid...It's 12 percent alcohol, tastes just as bad and does essentially the same thing.

I really wanted to like it. I've heard great things but it was too sweet for me. Doesn't feel like it lived up to the 102 IBUS. I'd rather go for a Ruination, Double Jack or Green Flash Imperial.

Double Jack is far superior IMO, but I went through a crazy Hop Stoopid kick last winter. The wallet thinned out rather quickly those months

i agree with OP. Hopstoopid was ok, but no where near the flavor of ruination. However for the $ I will continue to purchase. I can also get bombers of arrogant bastard for the $ though!

I love all of there stuff that i have tried so far. i had two bombers of sumpin wild last night. yum

Everyone has their own taste. Generally speaking I don't care for Stone's flavor profile and like the flavor profile of Lagunitas. Preferences make the world go round!

Same here. I've had ruination and their cali-belgian ipa and wasn't all that impressed

I think I'll pick some up this evening. I think it's a solid dipa, very drinkable with loads of flavor. I'm more apt the purchase a six pack over bombers, which is probably why I don't buy it as often

I might also pick some up soon. I used to love it, and started drinking it when it was $3/bomber at my Safeway. Last time I had it, I was underwhelmed (same with Ruination, since the comparison has been thrown around). I do drink a lot of IPAs, so I get underwhelmed by them easily. I think its been long enough that I should give both a try. I do enjoy Lagunitas.

I liked this beer. Its been a while since I had one but I remember it being pleasing on the hops front. Yeah it is quite strong but most lagunitas offerings are. Also as mentioned that little bit of sweetness is kind of their signature. I like just about everything I have had by them and yeah their beers are a great value compared to many others. Stone has gotten a little pricey and while I do still love bastard, ruination and their good old IPA. Their "special" offerings lately have left something to be desired, didn't like the last few verticals at all and they have gotten super gimmicky IMO.

If you knew it used hop extract before you tried it, you might have been looking for something.

Came here to say exactly this. If you think you can taste hop extract, you are deluding yourself. Suddenly brewers making amazing beer with LME can only produce artificially malted goo? Come on. Also- nonsensical alcohol bite? Are we even drinking the same beer? It's only 8%

I am putting together a Heady Topper clone and have tasted these two beers side by side. They are not the same beer, but share some very common tastes and smells. Hop Stoopid is very affordable and readily available. I love that hop extract taste.

It's OK but to me the hop flavor tasted artificial. It had a good flavor and all but I couldn't get past the "fake" hop taste. Yea, I knew they used hop extract and maybe that tainted my opinion but you can tell the difference between that and Ruination in a big way. It was only $2 cheaper than Ruination so I'd rather paythe difference. But, it was still pretty good.

IMO, Hop Stoopid is the worst IIPA I've ever had. Totally unbalanced, not even a hint of bitterness, totally all aroma in a sickly sweet syrupy sense. Couldn't even finish it. People buying IIPAs expect an increase in the bitterness, not just aroma. And to emphasize it wasn't just heavy on aroma, which I usually enjoy, it was syrupy in the taste of it. Just gross and upalatable.

betzbrew said:
IMO, Hop Stoopid is the worst IIPA I've ever had. Totally unbalanced, not even a hint of bitterness, totally all aroma in a sickly sweet syrupy sense. Couldn't even finish it. People buying IIPAs expect an increase in the bitterness, not just aroma. And to emphasize it wasn't just heavy on aroma, which I usually enjoy, it was syrupy in the taste of it. Just gross and upalatable.

Funny you should say this. I felt the same way with the last bomber I bought. It was not what I remembered of it the first few times I bought it. Wondering if something had changed with the recipe. I forced myself to finish it.

Back