Hopfelwein...?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
After reading a bit on Apfelwein, it seems like the easiest & tastiest thing to try, and I have a few thoughts you experienced apfelvinters might be able to answer.

1) Do hops have a place in Apfelwein? I love hops. Regardless of the answer I get here, I will make an apfelwein with hops eventually (assuming I enjoy the 1st somewhat standard apfelwein I make), but I'm wondering if anyone's tried it and has input? Maybe just some aroma / dry hopping?

2) What about turbinado sugar? I thought of using Turbinado sugar, rather than corn sugar, since it's less refined and might end up with just a tad of sweetness (from what I'm guessing based on what everyone says about Edwort's apfelwein) that could balance out the dryness.

3) Any thoughts on adding other juices? I live near a Trader Joe's and I'm considering adding some blackberry or raspberry juice to the mix.

This apfelwein stuff has me truly intrigued, if my 1st one works out I'll definitely make more, including one with honey, one with maple, one aged on oak, etc etc etc etc. Your thoughts & input are greatly appreciated.

1. I pitched some onto a yeast cake from beer...I dont' strain hops, so there is quite a bit of hop flavor...not much bitter. Definitely try Dry Hoping...maybe a gallon our of your batch.

2. My batch with Organic Evaporated Cane Juice (Turbinado) Will not clear no matter what I do to it....and it was considerable more expensive than priming sugar. This also will not give any residual sweetness. Time does a fine job of that.

3. DOOOOOD. Add some White Grape Peach juice...And some dried blueberries or Cranberries. You won't be sorry.

when i make apfelwein anymore i use 3 pounds of honey to 6 gallons apple juice in a 6 gallon fermenter. It is delicious and has a subtle floral-ness in the backround that the corn sugar just doesn't have. Hops sound really good in apfelwein though - cascades maybe?

I think ginger apfelwein would be the bees knees, there is another idea for you :rockin:

IIRC when I read the label on Strongbow it was made with hops (probably why I didn't like it), the cyser I made from my ice apfelwein dregs has a somewhat beer like flavour, the sample I drew while bottling tasted pretty yummy warm too. :D

After reading a bit on Apfelwein, it seems like the easiest & tastiest thing to try, and I have a few thoughts you experienced apfelvinters might be able to answer.

1) Do hops have a place in Apfelwein? I love hops. Regardless of the answer I get here, I will make an apfelwein with hops eventually (assuming I enjoy the 1st somewhat standard apfelwein I make), but I'm wondering if anyone's tried it and has input? Maybe just some aroma / dry hopping?

2) What about turbinado sugar? I thought of using Turbinado sugar, rather than corn sugar, since it's less refined and might end up with just a tad of sweetness (from what I'm guessing based on what everyone says about Edwort's apfelwein) that could balance out the dryness.

3) Any thoughts on adding other juices? I live near a Trader Joe's and I'm considering adding some blackberry or raspberry juice to the mix.

This apfelwein stuff has me truly intrigued, if my 1st one works out I'll definitely make more, including one with honey, one with maple, one aged on oak, etc etc etc etc. Your thoughts & input are greatly appreciated.

Back