Fat Tire Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain23

Reaction score
I've been wondering what gives Fat Tire that nutty, bready character that is so prominant (and in some of New Belgium's other brews as well). At first I thought it must be Belgian Biscuit Malt, but now that I know a little more- I'm thinking Victory, Pale Chocolate, or Marris Otter?

Maybe it also has something to do with their yeast selection or water that punches up that particular aspect of the malts? Its something that I want in my beers (in moderation) that I would like to try to duplicate....

From their site:

ABV - 5.2%
IBU - 18.5
Calories - 155
Hops - Willamette, Goldings, Target
Malts - Pale, C-80, Munich, Victory
OG - 12.6
TG - 2.2

BYO has a clone recipe but the yeast recommendation seems to be off based on the responses I've heard from other homebrewers.

I've done the NB clone twice and it was good. Never got it spot on, but it's close. I think I always mashed a little warmer to try and leave a maltier backbone and some residual body .... More than the original

Back