Waiting for the UPS truck...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael88n

Master Napper
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm home for the day because my little boy is barfy (like I really need a reason not to go to work). And it just so happens that I have a couple of boxes coming from AHB (really, this is a coincidence). And so I've gone to ups.com and I'm tracking the boxes and they've been "OUT FOR DELIVERY" since 5:50 this morning.

This wait is killing me. And it's not like I can brew tonight, because I've got classes from 5 'til 10.

Every car that I hear drive by, I think is the UPS truck.

I just want to see my new stuff!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCJEYLIBQY]YouTube - Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers - The Waiting[/ame]

Yeah I kind of like it when I don't get a tracking number because if I do I end up tracking it daily and on the day that it is "Out for Delivery" I constantly refresh. It always seems that my box is one of the last ones to get delivered.

Freaking UPS screwed me good one day. Everything is always delivered to me by about 1 pm. Of course the day that I'm planning on brewing 20 gallons of beer and can't do wither batch until I get some grains I was waiting for they don't show up until 5:45.

Bastages!!!!

Hope you get your order soon!

For Real! I would have dragged my sick kid to the station 15 miles down the road to get it personally.

If it makes you feel any better, that probably would have been an exercise in futility. Loads/unloads happen after hours. Hence, when you call to have it held, it will always be the next day before it arrives at the customer counter.

Calling ahead doesn't help either. Loaders don't generally look at hold notices, drivers do. The driver starts pre-loaded and pulls exceptions off as the day progresses (or end of day). Which means you're almost always going to have at LEAST one delivery attempt, the driver will put it aside for pickup when he returns, and then you can pick up the next day. If you meet the driver (or call) and get told it will be available for pickup that evening three things are certain. 1) The customer counter person will want to kick the driver. 2) Odds are 3:1 that it isn't there. 3) You will be frustrated and angry. Sound the voice of experience? Yep. 3yrs at the customer counter in college. If I had a dollar for every "same day" pickup I got cussed out for, I could afford a brand new Sabco.

Sound the voice of experience? Yep. 3yrs at the customer counter in college. If I had a dollar for every "same day" pickup I got cussed out for, I could afford a brand new Sabco.

Brother, let me tell you... I worked for FedEx (courier) for two years while going to college. My wife (at the time) was a loader at UPS (not the reason for the eventual divorce). I know how it really works (and how you described UPS is the same at FedEx), but being stuck at home and waiting and waiting is just a real be-otch.

I have been teasing my DH with a UPS package of brewing equipment for about a week... and it was supposed to deliver today!

I have been teasing my DH with a UPS package of brewing equipment for about a week... and it was supposed to deliver today!

Well, I'd really like to get my stuff into the garage before DW gets home from work. Part of the delivery is a surprise for her. I don't dare tell her in advance that something is coming in for her!

Michael

Good luck! Did it arrive yet????
What was the surprise???

Still not here yet. It's a couple of wine kits that she's asked me to make.
I'd like to make it one Saturday morning that she's not home if she doesn't know that it's here.
Otherwise, she'll be here when it's all delivered and will start asking when it'll be made, when it'll be done, when we can drink it. I figure, I can skip the first three questions and it'll be ready to drink next August (her birthday).

I'm not really sure how I was planning on keeping it a secret before staying home all day.

Michael

Yeah I feel your pain.....

I'm awaiting not one, but two UPS orders.

One is beer coming from Texas. It is on it's way to Phoenix right now. Not sure why they take it to Phoenix, and then back track it to Las Vegas. I would assume Vegas has a UPS distribution center.

The other is 3 digital wireless temp probes, coming from Illinois. It's in transit to Las Vegas right now.

And yes, the school buses do sound like UPS trucks.

Back