F Earth Day!!! (Rant)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seabee John

Swing the BIG hammer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the rant, but I got up less than two hours ago, and already I'm sick of earth day.

SCREW those hypocrite bastards! I take care of the planet, I don't pollute, Hell I've planted more trees than the average tree hugger (I'm a landscaper...I made money off doing that)

What makes these self righteous limousine libs think they can tell me I need to change my f'ng light bulbs.

F'ng Al Gore spends more on electricity in a month than I do in a year!!! F Global Warming, F Al Gore, and F Earthday!

It's all a HOAX!

we're screwed no matter what anyways..... :mug:

Im going to just continue to do my part even though it feels as if noone else feels they need to

kornkob said:
Earthday pre-dates the neo-conservation movement. *shrug*
Not sure I get your point...

While you're here though, any cool new games you want to let me in on;) ;)

we started recycling very adamantly. Our trash was reduced to just about 1/15th of what it was.

Then the Aluminum recycling plant decided that you need to have a state permit to bring them aluminum.

so we just leave it at their door when the plant is closed.

I hate waste - in any form. Whether it be garbage, energy, or water, etc. Heck even including being inefficient in one's work. Just because we can afford something that doesn't mean it is OK to waste it. I often think for many people it is just being lazy, both physically and mentally. Take a couple more steps, think about the "downstream" consequences of what you are about to do before you do it.

That being said, I do intensely dislike the smuggness of some environmentalist, and the way they look down on others. I look at it like true charity. Ones does it just because, not because one is looking for some specific benefit from it. And definitely not so one can feel smug about it.

the_bird said:
Do we really need to have ANOTHER environmental debate today? Haven't we had one every day for the past month?

How can you take that position on this day of all days! ;)

Speaking of quasi-environmental issues...

My neighbor down the street has had a Hummer for a couple of years. Now, I *hate* Hummers for all kinds of reasons - needlessly wasteful (this is a small woman who drives it around a small town - she does NOT need a Hummer), they're just a show-off, they're apparently built like crap....

So, I noticed the other day that they has gotten another car (still have the Hummer)......

A freakin' Prius! :eek: :confused:

WTF? Owning a Prius and a Hummer? Can someone explain THAT logic to me? Is she just trying to "average out" her petroleum use, somehow?

One for showing off to your friends and feel dominant, the other to drive around and save gas. Hummer + Prius = two normal sedans?

I dunno. I for one though don't mind earthday. I just hate waste...period. I don't really care if that makes me an 'enviromentalist' or not, i just don't like wastefulness, it's childish and makes you more like the schwine you eat.

Klainmeister said:
One for showing off to your friends and feel dominant, the other to drive around and save gas. Hummer + Prius = two normal sedans?

I dunno. I for one though don't mind earthday. I just hate waste...period. I don't really care if that makes me an 'enviromentalist' or not, i just don't like wastefulness, it's childish and makes you more like the schwine you eat.

Hey, the whole concept of Yankee Ingenuity is based upon not being wasteful, because we're all a bunch of cheap bastards!

the_bird said:
Speaking of quasi-environmental issues...

My neighbor down the street has had a Hummer for a couple of years. Now, I *hate* Hummers for all kinds of reasons - needlessly wasteful (this is a small woman who drives it around a small town - she does NOT need a Hummer), they're just a show-off, they're apparently built like crap....

So, I noticed the other day that they has gotten another car (still have the Hummer)......

A Freakin' Prius! :eek: :confused:

WTF? Owning a Prius and a Hummer? Can someone explain THAT logic to me? Is she just trying to "average out" her petroleum use, somehow?

That is friggin funny a damn Prius lol. Hummers are ugly, poorly made, they get 9 miles to the gallon and they are all driven by tiny women who cant see out of the damn things let a lone get into a parking space, They are a waste.

A couple of professional brewers disagree.

Beers to you on Earth Day!
Amid reports of global climate change endangering not only the future
of the planet, but also the ingredients for beer that make life on
Earth that much more enjoyable, this entertaining item from New
Belgium Brewing Company is too much fun not to share:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=STn7GvYUxL0 (For more NBBC videos, see
http://www.newbelgium.com/films2.php )
Not only is commuting by bicycle more fun than sitting in
fossil-fuelled motor traffic, with fuel prices approaching $3/gallon
(even more if you use gasoline or diesel... yet still low in the
context of what the rest of the world pays), it makes good sense to
think about driving your car less. Car-pooling is good, taking rail
transit or even a bus even better, but none of those offer the
multiple benefits in low cost and good health as bicycling. Even if
you bicycle to work only one day per week, leaving the car at home
that one day cuts your weekly commuting expense by 20%.
With that savings and good energy, reward yourself with a good craft
beer! But consider making it a more sustainable locally-produced beer
that didn't have to travel far from brewery to glass. Perhaps local
ingredients to make that locally produced beer might be a greater
challenge, although for those of us who live in Wisconsin, the malt
many brewers use doesn't have to travel great distances from maltster
to mill. To learn more about sustainable brewing, as well as lots of
fun facts about beer history, look for a copy of Fermenting
Revolution http://www.newsociety.com/bookid/3930 from a bookseller or
library http://worldcat.org/oclc/72982435&referer=brief_results
(adjust ZIP code for your area).
Happy Earth Day, and...
Now go have a beer,
Bob Paolino, columnist and Hop Tips editor
Great Lakes Brewing News
[email protected]

And a few on this site do as well.

Just remember when you create an absolutist rant/political/controversial thread the unintended consequence is that you ultimately divide the herd.

Maybe the person with the answer to your hypothetical question aboiut saving propane won't answer because they know you don't care about wasting it.

I dont believe in the whole global warming thing, However I do try my best to conserve and take care of the Enviroment. This country is way too beautiful to ruin, I dont think anyone wants to walk around with masks like they do in China because of pollution. :mug: To Earth Day The country is way to Beautiful.

olllllo said:
Just remember when you create an absolutist rant/political/controversial thread the unintended consequence is that you ultimately divide the herd.

Maybe the person with the answer to your hypothetical question aboiut saving propane won't answer because they know you don't care about wasting it.

The above statement is Dr. Kornkob approved.:rockin:

kornkob said:
I guess I read his rant and saw him ranting about the neo-conservation movement, which Earth day really has little to do with.

I mean, they're hijacking it, yeah-- but that's not Earth day causing that.

Roller coaster? http://www.gamesforwork.com/games/play-9007-Rollercoaster_Creator-Flash_Game
Bummer, Barracuda is blocking the site. Guess I'll have to check it out from home.

Anyways, I didn't see anything "neo-con", which I find to be as much a copout stereotype as "bleeding heart lib" from the right, in his post. It just seems to be name calling, and for someone as insightful as you usually are I didn't want to see you stoop to that.

Other than that, I hope all is well with everyone on this fine Tuesday.

ma2brew said:
Bummer, Barracuda is blocking the site. Guess I'll have to check it out from home.

Anyways, I didn't see anything "neo-con", which I find to be as much a copout stereotype as "bleeding heart lib" from the right, in his post. It just seems to be name calling, and for someone as insightful as you usually are I didn't want to see you stoop to that.

Other than that, I hope all is well with everyone on this fine Tuesday.

"Neo-conservation," not "neo-conservative"...

the_bird said:
"Neo-conservation," not "neo-conservative"...
I need a new monitor. I'm not seeing thing as well as I used to, and this is twice the_bird's called me out on it. I'm not doing too well here I guess. I guess that's why I try to stay neutral on most of these discussions:eek: . I'm here to learn about beer, and I get a little bummed seeing discussions turn personal when we all seem to have a common passion in fermentation.

RICLARK said:
I dont believe in the whole global warming thing.

WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS! How can you possibly deny the reality of global warming! Please give a follow up post telling me your kidding!

BuffaloSabresBrewer said:
WHAT ARE YOU SERIOUS! How can you possibly deny the reality of global warming! Please give a follow up post telling me your kidding!

Im not going to debate the issue I just dont Believe it.

the_bird said:
A freakin' Prius! :eek: :confused:

The Prius is quickly becoming just as much a status symbol as the Hummer is in other circles.

ma2brew said:
I need a new monitor. I'm not seeing thing as well as I used to, and this is twice the_bird's called me out on it. I'm not doing too well here I guess. I guess that's why I try to stay neutral on most of these discussions:eek: . I'm here to learn about beer, and I get a little bummed seeing discussions turn personal when we all seem to have a common passion in fermentation.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Honestly, I've thought about not being a moderator anymore so that I could ignore these threads. But, I - CAN'T - GIVE - UP - THE - POWER!! ;)

ma2brew said:
The Prius is quickly becoming just as much a status symbol as the Hummer is in other circles.

That's the conclusion I can to; both are "fashionable" cars.

But, the people who would be impressed by their owning a Prius wouldn't be so impressed if they knew what else was in the driveway (and vice-versa)!

ma2brew said:

And for the record: the whole 'libtard/neocon' namecalling bit irriates me as well.

However, the term I used could easily be mistaken and I should have known that.

the_bird said:
That's the conclusion I can to; both are "fashionable" cars.

But, the people who would be impressed by their owning a Prius wouldn't be so impressed if they knew what else was in the driveway (and vice-versa)!
Ah-- but HER friends might be impressed by her car and HIS friends might be impressed by his. Married people don't always run in the same circles.

I'm not going to debate the merits of Earth Day, global warming theory, or anything else here. However, SWMBO is watching one of those network morning shows right now, and they're showcasing a bunch of "green" products that are just preposterous!!! Regardless of your stance on Earth Day, these people are fvcking morons. Here's a list of the things they just showed:

Sheets and pillows made of "totally renewable" bamboo: HELLO?!?!?! Ever heard of cotton?! We can grow that HERE instead of importing it via pollution-laden shipping lanes.

Paving stones with solar lights for landscaping your yard: Who NEEDS these? You mined rocks from the earth to make a complete luxury item, put PLASTIC lights into the rocks, then marketed them as "green" because they use solar power? YGBSM!

A bowl made of strips of scrap mild steel cuttings from a steel toed boot factory: This bowl won't hold crap. It's a neo-modern sculpture that looks vaguely like a wicker basket that's falling apart. It's going to rust. It serves NO PURPOSE other than, again, a luxury item. If you "recycle" scrap metal into something that's completely useless, it's no more "green" than if you threw the stuff away. At least that scrap metal would've had a chance at becoming something useful if it had been taken to a proper scrapyard.

Cardboard clothes hangers: Perhaps the most "green" item showcased. Made of recycled cardboard instead of non-renewable steel. However, they are admittedly single use items that are intended to be thrown away. So, instead of getting metal/plastic hangers that you can use over and over again, you're supposed to buy cardboard ones that have a very limited useful life and then contribute them to supposedly already overflowing landfills? Nice.

If this is how we celebrate Earth Day, F Earth Day!

kornkob said:
And for the record: the whole 'libtard/neocon' namecalling bit irriates me as well.

However, the term I used could easily be mistaken and I should have known that.
No, my bad, not yours.

kornkob said:
Ah-- but HER friends might be impressed by her car and HIS friends might be impressed by his. Married people don't always run in the same circles.
See, usual insightfulness.

One thing no one can argue about right now, if you put "Green" on the label it sells.

Yuri_Rage said:
Cardboard clothes hangers: Perhaps the most "green" item showcased. Made of recycled cardboard instead of non-renewable steel. However, they are admittedly single use items that are intended to be thrown away. So, instead of getting metal/plastic hangers that you can use over and over again, you're supposed to buy cardboard ones that have a very limited useful life and then contribute them to supposedly already overflowing landfills? Nice.

This one's especially egregious.

There's a kids' song on one of Cassie's CDs that talks about environmental stuff. It's the three Rs - reduce, reuse, recycle, in that order.

Use less crap.
Reuse stuff as long as you can (like coat hangers)
Recycle what you can't reuse.

Nothing controversial there. The metal hanger was probably made out of recycled metal and will be used for forty years (when was the last time you BOUGHT a coat hanger?). The energy to recycle the cardboard ones, to ship them to the stores... you're right, completely and utterly Bo-o-o-o-o-o-GUS!

I tell you what. I don't preach to people about environmental issues. If I do it in my life, I do it and others can see. If they ask, I tell them. I will shed light on issues, but I wouldn't tell others to do something that I am not willing to do, or am committed to.

So....I feel that the worst examples for the 'environmental movement' are the ones living hypocritically. What I find the most disturbing is that much of the warnings have been known for decades and only recently have these things come to the forefront mostly because it is popular.

Sure you own a Prius, but what is your take on Midnight soil? :D

Oh and how much energy went into manufacturing all the 'old' cars that people are sending off because they are caught up in the media hype?

the_bird said:
Nothing controversial there. The metal hanger was probably made out of recycled metal and will be used for forty years (when was the last time you BOUGHT a coat hanger?). The energy to recycle the cardboard ones, to ship them to the stores... you're right, completely and utterly Bo-o-o-o-o-o-GUS!

I believe the intent is to *recycle* them when you're finished. The local dry cleaners just gives you a new metal hanger every time you use their services. Not that those aren't recyclable either.

Green marketing is just that. Marketing. This has very little to do with intrinsic belief systems and a lot to do with big corporate business. They will sell people whatever they want to be sold. It isn't hippies and burnouts touting these new "green" products, It's huge corporate conglomerates! If you're angry with that, then by god you're come kind of commie anti-capitalist!

If you're going to complain about other's ethics, do it like Seabee John and copy your dialog directly from Bill O'Riley. At least he's smart enough to know the difference between hate-mongering and big business.

Happy Earth Day everyone!

This summer I'm sticking exclusively to motorcycles. On the one hand, I get 30-45mpg depending on which one I ride. But on the other hand, none of them have catalytic converters. :eek:

So it's polluting more, but saving gas. And it's a hell of a lot of fun. That's the real reason I do it. :ban:

As for Earth stuff, let's see... I'd say we recycle nearly half of our garbage. I don't dump oil/coolant/etc on the ground. And I don't litter things that aren't biodegradable. I smoke a pipe, so the tobacco left over is biodegradable- no ugly filters lying around. I'll "litter" peach pits or orange rinds if it's not in a place of beauty (side of the road, ok, but middle of a nice park, not ok).

I try to be respectful of the environment, but I'm too poor to spend extra money just to save the earth. Besides, I'm not so arrogant as to think I'm that important to the overall health of the earth. Someday I too will be compost on the side of the road...

Sir Humpsalot said:
I'm not so arrogant as to think I'm that important to the overall health of the earth. Someday I too will be compost on the side of the road.

Very wise words...

On the topic of global warming, do you know what makes me hot? I like to hug trees. When I am hugging them I picture them getting ripped from the earth by a big yellow machine and layed flat on the grown with their branches ripped off. Then this orange machine picks them up and throws them on the back of a BIG Sexy Diesel Burning Rig and they get carried away to be turned into something else. Nothing like a little coniferous necrophelia to make MY Happy Tree stand up.

landhoney said:
Which marriage version is that? Mine doesn't come with that option? ;)

er-- Lots of marriages. Do you not have friends whose wives you'e never met or only met once?

Sir Humpsalot said:
Besides, I'm not so arrogant as to think I'm that important to the overall health of the earth. Someday I too will be compost on the side of the road...

This might be the most complete and truthful statement made about the 'green' movement. It is the very group that force feeds false truths about the global warming that also states that 'nature' is all powerful and cannot be harnessed. They also claim that we if we don't do something drastic soon then it will be too late.

The fear mongering is numbing and monotonous. The same paranoia was pitched in the 70s in regards to global COOLING. Which, when all the facts are on the table, is truly much more of a concern than warming.

The global warming scare is more of an attack on capitalist culture and lifestyle than it is a serious concern for environmentalist. They lost traction in the fight against logging, mining, hunting/fishing, so the entire global climate became the new focus. It is merely a social and political dogma that unites like-minded people with little substance.

Wow...that got longer than I had initially planned... I guess I'll be expecting some flamage. Sorry about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back