ESB v2, please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheH2

Reaction score
This is the first time I've redone a recipe and made adjustments. I added .25 pounds of oats (.5 total) and .25 carapills.

I added extra oats b/c I wanted it to have a mouthfeel closer to Fuller's ESB (a little creamier). Cara-pils b/c it was a little thin. I adjusted Marris Otter to get same OG.

Am I gong overboard with temperature and extra ingredients? Am I adding too much oats? Should I increase hops a little due to higher mash temp? Any comments/recommendations would be appreciated.

Recipe Below:
8.6lb Marris Otter
.5lb Munich
.5lb Oats
.25lb Aromatic
.25lb Crystal (60L)
.25lb cara-pils
.09lb Chocolate (for color)

.8oz Galena (60 minute)
.5oz Challenger (15 minute)
.25oz East Kent Golding (15 minute)
.25oz East Kent Golding (5 minute)

London ESB (Wyeast #1968)

Thanks in advance.

Okay. There are a few things you can do here.

First, oats, Crystal and CaraPils all add body. So does increased mash temperature, don't forget! Anyway, I'd drop the Chocolate and CaraPils and increase the 60L Crystal. That'll get you the desired color as well as the crystal-malt body and character so crucial to the style.

Second, don't go overboard on the oats or it'll never clear.

Third, Aromatic can enhance the perception of body, though I don't think you should increase that amount.

Fourth, I love your hops schedule, though I'd never dream of using Galena; I'd have bittered with Challenger.

Have fun!

Cheers,

Bob

Back