Beersmith is kicking out 2 rounds of batch sparge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbnpj

Reaction score
I use kegs for brewing and have entered all that information into beersmith. For some reason when I preview brewsheet under the mash it is kicking out 2 rounds of batch sparge. I dont want it to do this. I only do one round of sparging. How can I get it to show me only one sparge?

Click details in the mash profile, go down to batch sparge options and click 'batch sparge using batches that fill' and 'drain the mash tun before starting to batch sparge.' Leave 'sparge using equal size batches' blank.

I tried that and it didnt work. Also, is it relevant that this will be a 10 gallon batch? I was thinking I would still do a single batch sparge?

Or just take your boil volume minus what you extract from your first runnings and sparge once with that amount. Beersmith in my experience has been great to get the process down. but after 2 years I use it for OG estimates and temperature calcs only.

Yeah, I don't get that too. The second sparge is like 1.63 gallons and then a bigger one. Doesn't make sense...

~Diz

Close out beersmith after you make the changes and re-open it and see if it takes the changes. I had the same issues with a beer on my "work" copy in my office when I transferend a recipe I created on my home copy to it. I think I did it a couple times without the settings changed, then shut it down and re-opened it and it was fine...or toggle between different views like classic brewsheet and the other options. It takes awhile to get it to take but it does.

The first sparge is just an addition of water to mash to make it equal the second sparge. So technically you are still doing only one sparge in the addition to the original draining of your tun.

Back